Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

osTicket Integration with Joomla CMS

I use Joomla to develop websites because I'm used to it and have no complaints about the options or features. It's the best system I've used.

However, making components that integrate other open source scripts is not my forte. Is there anyone out there that can do this sort of thing with OS Ticket and Joomla?

Would there be a way for osTicket to automatically import users from joomla and actually be a component? Instead of entering a support ticket number, a user could just login and would share the user data with the support ticket system. The user could then click the support link and be taken directly into their osTicket profile.

Just an idea. Joomla has a huge following of good folks and are rated #1 in Open Source CMS and possibly the best all around... in my opinion. There may be some interest there in developing a bridge or component. I know I'd sure like one because there just isn't anything out there yet that is available that works.

Kayako seems to also be a really good system and used by many professionals.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop a note in here. Happy New Year to everyone and Thanks again for resurrecting this website.

Comments

• I am also a big fan of Joomla! and would be very interested in such integration. I am also looking into doing the same for Drupal. So anyone with experience hacking the two systems is welcomed to give it a try. I will help make it happen!
  • I'm not using Joomla or Mambo anymore but I'm still interested in the ideas that you guys have. I'm building my own membership system (using a framework) and find it pointless to build a ticket module when osticket is so cool.

I guess if there was an easy way to bypass osticket's authentication system and integrate into whatever new platform that would be helpful.
  • RE:

Hi there everyone

Just wanted to drop a line and say that we are currently in the process of developing designs and "link based" engines to joomla.

Our preliminary testing has showed that with the exception of "perldesk" which is NOT open source (not if they try to trick us with a "license fee" that is) we have found OSTICKET to be a very strong system.

We are confident with some tweaking we can do to the core code we can adapt it to joomla

thanks everyone
  • is there any futher progress on this

I would also like something like this would work excelent if this coule be achieved ?
  • I'd be very interested as well!
  • Me too

i would be interested in joomla integration also.
  • I'm also interested in a Joomla integration
  • Add Me

All,

Add me to the list of those wanting osTicket as Joomla component.

Currently working on a coupon component for Joomla and will make contribs to this effort as time permits.

Doing this will be a two step process:

1. Getting OST to install under Joomla,
    2. Getting OST to run error free under Joomla.

First effort, in the install process, is to write the .xml installer file, and see if OST will install "as-is".

If not then we need collaborative effort to tackle the problems.

If someone has resources where a shared joomla test site can be placed, then IM all others here, looking for the solution, so they can join in. I would also suggest a SourceForge project so tracking of errors, etc. can be logged so we do not repeat each others efforts here.

OMR
  • All,

Notice 2 other members said they were working on this.

Do either of you have the .xml installer file built yet?

Pretty simple really, just download OST, unzip, run dos commands:
    • cd "my_ost_extract_dir"
    • dir /b /s > ost_files.txt
    Then copy the file list, from ost_files.txt, into the .xml under the "" section with following annotation of "myfile.ext" for all files being copied into install.

The "" section is a little more involved and you must know SQL coding for MySQL to complete that. Best method is to use the "SQL" code submit dialog inside of PHPmyAdmin for your MySQL DB and perfect the code, then copy it into the .xml file.

Of course once the .xml file is right all OST files or the original .zip file must be in .zip file with the .xml file included and must be named "com_myname.zip", probably "com_ost4joom.zip" is best.

Need any other help, just reply.

OMR

All,

Some corrections to my last posts:
    Doing this will be a two step process:

2. Getting OST to run error free under Joomla.
    Should read:
    Doing this will be a three step process:

2. Getting OST to run error free under Joomla,
    3. Creating the OST component Admin for Joomla.
    Link to .xml example is:

http://dev.joomla.org/component/option,com_jd-wiki/Itemid,/id,components:xml_installfile/

Example of .xml with "" attached! (File has errors so do not run unless you can debug it.)

Cheers!

OMR
  • Login integration as a first step

Hi
    It would be fantastic to integrate this full into Joomla - especially as I've just added the system inside a wrapper.

It occured to me that many external applications to Joomla are frequently integrated as a first step, by just ensuring a common login bridge. Would that be easier? I'm no programmer so I have no idea, I just thought it worth chucking into the pool.

Regards
  • Joomla integration

I too would love osticket to be a joomla component

I am also wrapping osTicket within Joomla at the moment and realised the view ticket facility that is emailed to the customer wont be seen within the Joomla template because Joomla doesnt allow parameters (email address and ticket number) to be passed into the wrapper.

Ive done a small mod to the wrapper component to allow this so if anyone doing a joomla integration wants to know the little bit that i've done, let me know and i'll break it down into steps and message it here

Tony Byng
    The Company Merchant Limted
  • Hi Tony, can we see your site with the wrapped OSTicket in action?
  • view tickets in joomla

Hi dax702

The site isnt live at the moment as its still in development but ive got it uploaded into a subdirectory now

http://www.thecompanymerchant.co.uk/cms/support-view/?e=this@email.co.uk&t=123456

As you can see, parameters of e and t can be passed in on the url, so rather than pointing the user to http://www.thecompanymerchant.co.uk/ticket/view.php?e=this@email.co.uk&t=123456 which wouldnt be within a Joomla view the first url above will show it within the joomla template

Its a small step, and its all work in progress - I'm new to both Joomla and osTicket so kinda feeling my way at the moment. I simply modded

components/com_wrapper/view/wrapper/tmpl/default.php

and where the iframe declaration is, replace it with this. (the iframe declaration itself is the same - its just the src that changes.

<?
    $fullurl=$this->wrapper->url;
    $extraparams=\"\";
    if (strpos(\"?\",$fullurl)===false)
    $extraparams = \"?\";

if (is_array($_REQUEST) && count($_REQUEST)>0)
    {
    foreach($_REQUEST as $k=>$v)
    $extraparams .= $k.\"=\".urlencode($v).\"&\";
    }

$fullurl .= $extraparams;
    ?>
    <iframe <?php echo $this->wrapper->load; ?>
    id=\"blockrandom\"
    name=\"iframe\"
    src=\"<?php echo $fullurl; ?>\"
    width=\"<?php echo $this->params->get( 'width' ); ?>\"
    height=\"<?php echo $this->params->get( 'height' ); ?>\"
    scrolling=\"<?php echo $this->params->get( 'scrolling' ); ?>\"
    align=\"top\"
    frameborder=\"0\"
    class=\"wrapper<?php echo $this->params->get( 'pageclass_sfx' ); ?>\">
    <?php echo JText::_( 'NO_IFRAMES' ); ?>
    </iframe>

I only did a few changes but it seems to work.

Tony Byng
    The Company Merchant Limited
    www.thecompanymerchant.co.uk
  • Wow that's very cool! This works throughout the process? (user is able to create a ticket, view his tickets, etc. without getting out of the Joomla site?) I would have tested it for myself but you didn't say if I could create a ticket or not :)

By modifying the wrapper code, does this in any way affect if you wanted to use a wrapper for something else on your Joomla site?
  • Hi

I dont believe there are any knock on effects for the wrapper. All my mod is doing is checking if there are any parameters passed in on the url and if there are, it passes them down to the wrapped url - if there arent any then it has no effect anyway. I'm starting to use an affiliate tracking package that is wrapped (couldnt find a decent one for joomla) and the wrapper works for that so I assume all is ok.

One of the good things about osticket at the moment is that it doesnt have a proper "users" file with usernames and passwords - everything appears to be controlled by an email address and a ticket number which should actually make integration in general easier because there is no syncing of passwords to do. Is anyone else progressing further with an integration ?

Regards

Tony
  • Something just popped into my head about the wrapper mod. I'm not a programmer so I don't know, but I remember reading something about cross site scripting attacks where the attacker appends the URL with some malicious code or something or something to that effect? Can this happen if the wrapper is checking for parameters?
  • dax702;3664 said:
    Something just popped into my head about the wrapper mod. I'm not a programmer so I don't know, but I remember reading something about cross site scripting attacks where the attacker appends the URL with some malicious code or something or something to that effect? Can this happen if the wrapper is checking for parameters?
    Hi dax702

I'm not hot on cross site scripting attacks but my assumption would be either a concern about hijacking the iframe and routing elsewhere or injecting mysql code for example to delete contents of databases? The change in the wrapper only hands the parameters to the original wrapped script (in this case view.php), it doesnt evaluate or "run" any of the parameters. Its up to the original script to determine if an attack is taking place - i.e. if you can pass parameters to view.php directly to attack it then it will still happen - this isnt opening any backdoors. Also the wrapper mod still looks to Joomla for the actual URL to go to so someone can't pass a parameter in to relocate the iframe wrapper elsewhere.

Its only a small step towards integration. Ideally osTicket would be a Joomla module/component in its own right. From my companies perspective, I can live with the "backend" not being a joomla module as osTicket emails us whenever there is a support requirement and provides a link back to the right place to login. My main requirement is for the user to see that osticket looks like its all part of the same application they are using, and wrapping at the moment appears to be the only way.

Tony
  • Actually, I just found out today that RSJoomla.com is going to be releasing a support ticket system FOR Joomla in the next few days. It will be commercial but they make great components so I'm excited about it (not putting OSTicket down or anything but just letting you know that a Joomla component will be available soon)
  • Thanks for that. Will keep an eye open - couldnt see any reference to a support ticket system from rsjoomla on google. I'm happy with osTicket but it would be good to have an integrated ticket system with Joomla
  • Well, it's not out yet, in a few days is what they told me today. But you can see the component in action on their website already..
  • OldManRiver;3539 said:
    All,

If someone has resources where a shared joomla test site can be placed, then IM all others here, looking for the solution, so they can join in. I would also suggest a SourceForge project so tracking of errors, etc. can be logged so we do not repeat each others efforts here.

OMR
    this is something I would be happy to provide space for if anyone is still keen on doing this. Just let me know what you want installed & we can get started
  • email link issue

Tony,

What Help Desk URL are you using to get the links in the auto responder emails to work correctly?

Thanks,

Steve
  • I too, am very interested in the Joomla integration.

Has anyone started it yet, or there even a limited way that they could be put together?
  • Solved - I hope :)
    sherrick;5298 said:
    Tony,

What Help Desk URL are you using to get the links in the auto responder emails to work correctly?

Thanks,

Steve
    To get mine working (I'm using Joomla 1.5)
    1. I turned on the Apache rewrite
    2. I turned on search engine friendly urls
    3. Modified the code in the file 'components/com_wrapper/wrapper.php' by doing the following:
    Found:
    		$url = $params->def( 'url', '' );

Added the following after it:
    		foreach ($_GET as $key => $value) {
    if ($key<>\"option\" && $key<>\"Itemid\") {
    $url.=(strpos($url,\"?\")) ? \"&\" : \"?\";
    $url.=\"$key=$value\";
    }
    }

Am using http://www.davidvdesign.com/support/support-tickets for my 'Helpdesk URL'

I tried using Tony's fix and it didn't work for me at all - maybe a version difference?

Here is a working link to show it in action:
    http://www.davidvdesign.com/support/ticket-login/view.php?e=example@davidvdesign.com&t=847887

**Update 3-25-2009**
    For the ticket login I created a hidden menu entry that goes to the ticket login (aliased as ticket-login) and changed the main link to go to the ticket home (aliased as support-tickets) - the working link above has been corrected to reflect this change

I'm working on a hack to add a link in the admin area to the ticket system admin and will update everyone once I have managed to do this :)
    **End Update**

I'm brand spanking new here (this is my first post actually) but I hope this is able to help a few people out. I really enjoy Joomla and osTicket was super easy to setup and use so expect to see me around for a while :D

Peace!
    David V.
  • Joomla

Thanks, David. I'll try that, too!
  • I also made a small change:
    if ($key<>\"option\" && $key<>\"Itemid\" && $key<>\"view\") {

Some things going into a wrapper were breaking and not loading properly. This seemed to fix it without breaking anything else.
  • Look below for soluction and how to implement this:

1- Change the main flow of osticket, by default when you access http://www.yourdomain.com/osticket he redirect for index.php, change this to redirect for your website because you will kill the front-end of osticket. Verifiry another pages to block open ticket on osticket front-end.

2- Joomla has a login system, and we will use this. Create a componente called com_helpdesk (my preference), with this we can get the email of autenticated user and use it on search tickets. Delegate to componente this funcionality:
    :: Create a Ticket (create a ticket with email and user from autenticated user)
    :: Search ticket lists (search key is email on table tickets of ostickets)
    :: Edit Ticket

note: on my company we need to create a position of the user, but the ACL (Access Control List) of joomla is not finish and i don't now how to use this on version 1.5. For this soluction i create a param on table users and set the admin component (com_user/model) for set a param on create/edit user on admin interface of joomla. Just edit the xml files. Each position is assigned with departament.

3- Now we have a joomla componente (com_helpdesk) and a admin componente (com_user) changed.
    4- To edit, create a remote login from joomla to view.php on ostickets.
    5- Review all flows of osticket and customize it.

For me it's a better idea that i can think, feel themselves free for the poll.

Advantages of my implementation:
    1- Just login users will create a ticket., better control.
    2- Use your website to view and edit tickets.
    3- Customize it with your layout.
    4- Use ostickets, betters opensource helpdesk system for me =p
    5- Because, open source matters =p

the above solution is an answer ti your question.keep rocking have fun..

-------------------------------------
    RapidSSL
    Wildcard SSL
  • Hi Tom,

Do you have the J! components as a working solution? Do you have some code to share or is it proprietary?
  • Im i missing out on something here? or is a prerequisite so clear that it is no need for explaining it to n00bs?

I do not see the solution here, even many of you links to working sites.

Please enlighten me!

"tiny babysteps"
    1. find this file
    2. write this in file
    3. save file
  • is there anyone who made the integration with Joomla ? For example I want when someone wants to add a new ticket to be forced to log-in and osticket to extract all the contact info from Joomla users (name, email, phone , etc...) . Also when verifying the ticket, the user to introduce his joomla name / pass and will see all his opened the tickets.
    Thnaks