Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Customer receives error message when PIPING

When my customers send an email to either open a ticket or respond to an open ticket my customers receive an error message back from my server. The message is actually always processed and entered into the system properly still. There error I am getting is the following:

Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
Body:
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

pipe to |/home/diresoln/public_html/tickets/api/pipe.php
generated by [email]tickets@diresolutions.com[/email]
local delivery failed

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/home/diresoln/public_html/tickets/api/pipe.php
generated by [email]tickets@diresolutions.com[/email] ------

PHP Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent in /home/diresoln/public_html/tickets/main.inc.php on line 48
PHP Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent in /home/diresoln/public_html/tickets/main.inc.php on line 48

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is a brand new install and I believe the Pipe is setup properly as the messages do actually get into the system properly.

Comments

• Similar Error

I'm getting something similar. The error is as follows:

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/php_xmlrpc.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/php_xmlrpc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Any ideas anyone? Does it have something to do with my host not having XML-RPC for PHP installed/available?

Thanks in advance.

- Mahoo
  • Solution to pipe email failure back to sender

Using Exim version 4.69-15, the osTicket wiki recommended set up for forwarding email to osTicket via a pipe causes an email failure message to be sent to the sender of the email even though the message does make it into the osTicket ticket list.

The soution is to edit the exim.conf file and make the following changes. In the configuration file for the following sections, change 'return_output' to be 'return_fail_output = true' - no quotes.

address_pipe:
    driver = pipe
    return_output (change this to return_fail_output = true)

virtual_address_pipe:
    driver = pipe
    group = nobody
    return_output (change this to return_fail_output = true)

This problem consumed half a day and after using every php directive possible to suppress error messages with no success, I finally figured to look into the Exim configuation for a solution. I found the recommendation for this at http://osticket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881 but could not make it work until I added the = true to the return_fail_output directive.

This really should be part of the osTicket wiki post install instructions. Be aware that cPanel overwrites direct edits to the exim.conf file when Exim is updated so you need to keep an eye that this configuration change does not revert when you regenerate the Exim configuration.
  • This is obviously not true of all cpanel servers since there's so little mention of this on these forums. So this is only one fix for the problem. Is there another besides editing conf files!
  • Can't edite exim.conf

I'm still looking for the answer to this, so apologies if it's somewhere else.

My osticket instance is on a shared box. I can't edit /etc/exim.conf. Is there another way around this, or can I edit a user-specific conf somewhere?
  • I'm having this exact same issue, only on the new stable version of 1.6. Anyone found a solution?

Tickets are actually being submitted but clients keeping contacting me thinking their tickets didn't submit because they receive the error message.
  • I don't recall exactly how I resolved this issue, but I believe I dumped the piping entirely and went with the SMTP-based solution described in the OSTicket docs.
  • Yeah, this is something in the mail server configuration, not osTicket.

You could try setting up a real mailbox for that address in addition to the piping alias, so that the mail server also has a real box to put the email in and see if that does any good.
  • I tried setting up an email account, in addition to the piping, and still received a warning error.

This was not happening prior to upgrading to the latest version of osTicket, so don't see how it could be a mail server issue.

The beauty of osTicket is the mail piping feature, so SMTP isn't the best solution for my needs.
  • I had resolved this issue by working with my host, who edited the exim.conf file as suggested here:  http://osticket.com/wiki/Email_Piping

I recently upgraded to osTicket v1.9 RC1 and noe I am getting the errors again.  I have notified my host of this and am waiting to see if the exim.conf file was perhaps over-written.