Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.9.3 is now available! Go get it now

security concerns: php reg global

hope someone can help:
after installing v1.6 RC4, i was prompted to set Register Globals to OFF if not used. Since setting to OFF usually requires some Server Admin intervention, my question is:
Q. i've seen some internet forum postings dtd 2005 which point out security vulnerabilities of v1.3 & earlier. Are all existing known security threats already addressed in v1.6 RC4 and that setting register globals to OFF is for additional assurance for threats not yet discovered?

thanks!

Comments

• Since nobody answer this question, let me to be honest. I am not sure whether all security threats already addressed in v1.6 RC4, cause I have not tested whether any security-hole still be opened or not.

Basically, set register_global directive to OFF is recommended. At least, this is what php.ini said:

You should do your best to write your scripts so that they do not require register_globals to be on. Using form variables as globals can easily lead to possible security problems, if the code is not very well thought of.

Best regards,
    Masino Sinaga