Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.9.4-RC2 is now available! Go get it now

Maybe It's Just Me But...

Hi:

Okay, let me just cut to the chase.

I decided to use a help desk because emails were not being delivered. So I thought that if a customer could submit a ticket and go directly to the help desk, it would eliminate the problem of emails being delivered.

But...

In order to use the help desk, you have to have the ticket number which you ONLY get through...here it comes...an email.

Is it just me, or does anybody else see the illogic of this system?

Can't we give the customer the ticket number on the main screen after he submits it? Otherwise, if he's not getting my email from this address anyway, he's not going to get the ticket number to be able to check the status of his problem.

I am really curious as to what a help desk is for since it is obviously not to battle the problems of non email delivery, which is what I wanted this for to begin with.

Any comments to this puzzle are welcome.

Comments

• osTicket is meant to help seamlessly integrates inquiries created via email and online forms, allowing your staff to manage all support requests in one place. Ticket ID must be sent to the email because of how osTicket handles ticket and email authentication, please see http://osticket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195 for details.

Even if you didn't care about emailed tickets or authentication, you still need ability to alert the client/user when a response is available. I can't imagine a helpdesk without email support being useful at all. May be you are using a helpdesk for the wrong reasons!
  • Peter, I think using a help desk because email delivery is so horrible is not the wrong reason to use a help desk.

Obviously you don't agree.

I shall look for a better solution because this doesn't solve my problem of people not getting my emails.
  • Steve,

My point was, email delivery is the integral and useful part of a helpdesk e.g for alerts, notices, authentications (in the case of osTicket) etc. I am not saying it is a required component but I can guarantee you that most helpdesks will require email support in some form.

Good luck.
  • I think what Steven is trying to suggest is this:

- User opens a New Ticket Online via the helpdesk, clicks submit
    - - Confirmation Message appears on screen "Thanks! Your ticket number is #40534"

Is that correct, Steven?
  • said:

I think what Steven is trying to suggest is this:

- User opens a New Ticket Online via the helpdesk, clicks submit
    - - Confirmation Message appears on screen "Thanks! Your ticket number is #40534"

Is that correct, Steven?

It is a bad idea see http://osticket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195