Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Client email-replies added as new ticket

Dear users,

I've setup OSTicket yesterday and I am very happy with it. It covers al the features I need to have.
I am using POP3 Fetching instead of e-mail piping, the OST-version is 1.6 ST.

At this moment there is only one feature which is not working.

1. A client creates a new ticket by e-mail.
2. The ticket appears succesfully in OSTicket and a confirmation-email is sent back to the customer.
3. The client receives the confirmation from OSTicket.

Now. When the client decides to add more information to the ticket by replying on the confirmation-mail, OSTicket creates a new ticket instead of appending the original ticket of the client.

What I tried already:
- Sent e-mail out with PHP-mail instead of using my own SMTP-server
- Playing with the "Strip quoted reply"-checkbox and Reply Separator Tag
- First add a comment as admin in OSTicket (OSTicket sends an e-mail to the client about an update). Let the client reply to the update-mail.

I thought this was a feature of OSTicket. Is this a bug or am I doing someting wrong?

Comments

• I am having this EXACT same issue. Does anyone have any clue what the problem with this is? :confused:
  • Some pointers...

* The emails must much - FROM email on the reply MUST match the original email address.
    * The ticket ID on the subject must be in [#ticketID] format.
  • Thanks Peter. I've had this same problem, but realise now that it was because I had a forwarder for the email address that the ticket was being sent to.

This meant that any replies to my osTicket admin email address didn't recognize the email address that I was attempting to send a reply from.
  • Same thing

I am having a similar problem but when I send a response to the customer rather than when the customer responds.

If a customer responds to a ticket it works fine and adds the email to the ticket as a message. If I reply to the customer a new ticket is created.

Is there a guide for getting this to work properly or can anyone suggest what the problem might be?
  • hello

i modified pipe.php

from

$ticket=null;
    if(preg_match (\"[[#][0-9]{1,10}]\",$var['subject'],$regs)) {
    $extid=trim(preg_replace(\"/[^0-9]/\", \"\", $regs[0]));
    $ticket= new Ticket(Ticket::getIdByExtId($extid));
    //Allow mismatched emails?? For now hell NO.
    if(!is_object($ticket) || strcasecmp($ticket->getEmail(),$var['email']))
    $ticket=null;
    }

to

$ticket=null;
    if(!is_object($ticket))
    $ticket=null;
    }

in this way everyone who send an email with [#nr.tick] add a new message to the ticket and not create a new ticket.
  • Thanks, I will give that a try.
  • What can we do if we are using POP3 fetching instead of piping?
    Paolo Poma;23838 said:
    hello

i modified pipe.php

from

$ticket=null;
    if(!is_object($ticket) || strcasecmp($ticket->getEmail(),$var['email']))
    $ticket=null;
    }

to

$ticket=null;
    if(!is_object($ticket))
    $ticket=null;
    }

in this way everyone who send an email with [#nr.tick] add a new message to the ticket and not create a new ticket.
    Any advice for using POP3 fetch instead of piping? I have this problem also.
  • peter;16418 said:
    Some pointers...

* The emails must much - FROM email on the reply MUST match the original email address.
    * The ticket ID on the subject must be in [#ticketID] format.
    OSTicket 1.7:
    i just "knocked out" the email verification part of this by commenting the related query and moving the bracket as follows (in "include/class.mailfetch.php", changes in red)
    Now it seems to automatically add incoming emails with the same ticket ID id Ticket ID is in the subject line.

if($ticket) {
    $staffsql = 'SELECT staff_id, firstname, lastname, email FROM '.STAFF_TABLE.' WHERE email='.db_input($vars['email']).' LIMIT 1';
    $vars['poster'] = $vars['name'];
    //if(($staffres=db_query($staffsql)) && (db_num_rows($staffres) == 0)){
    if(!($message=$ticket->postMessage($vars, 'Email'))){
    return false;
  • edited October 2013
    I installed osTicket 1.7.2 but I don't find the code in include/class.mailfetch.php to allow anyone to reply on a thread.