Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

New ticket department access

The feature where you choose what group has access to which departments should that not extend to creating new tickets?

For example say I have 2 departments Support and Sales. - The sales group only has access to the sales tickets, however when they go to create a new ticket they're able to choose from all the departments.

Is there a way I can rectify this either through modifying code or through a setting?

Comments

• There is no setting to change this behavior at this time.

IF you wanted to be able to do this you would have to modify the project source (or submit a patch to be included on github).  I for one would not like this to change as it is a feature that we use here on a regular basis.
  • But if you've restricted access to a group to only see a particular department then what does it matter if they can't raise tickets under another department? Once it's raised they can no longer even see it.
  • Here are just a couple off the top of my head (doesn't pertain to my usage) set of use cases.

Use Case 1:
    Because people in support (department) may need to open tickets for the billing (department).
    Especially if your billing department only works mon-fri, but your support department is open 24x7.

Use Case 2:
    Tiered escalation.  People in your support (department) may diagnose a problem/bug and open a ticket for the development (department) so that it can be addressed in a patch.  One may not wish to grant direct access to their devs.

Use Case 3:
    Billing (department) may need to open a ticket for the support (department) because a user may be having a technical issue connection which they thought was billing and is not.  Especially true if you the person calling gets disconnected, or if you have a live person monitoring a support email address and opening tickets manually.

And those are just the first three off the top of my head.