Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Possible Anti-SPAM Measures?

Hi

I'm not a developer and all I know about PHP is that it's a palindrome, so there's little chance I can stuff up the spelling! What I do know is that I get plenty of marketing-related SPAM entering my ticket queue. Keeping things clean with rules and an expanding email banlist is cumbersome and an admin overhead that I just don't have time for. 

I was wondering if it is possible to develop an Akismet plug-in (http://akismet.com/development) or similar. Alternatively a plug-in that can reference a global and constantly updated SPAM list, that can act as a kind of active/dynamic banlist?

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Is it feasible to force users to create an account to open a ticket or restrict your osTicket system to just your LAN? Have you enabled the CAPTCHA option on new tickets? (Yes, CAPTCHA can now be undermined, but it does help eliminate a bulk of the bogus tickets).

I understand the need for the anti-spam plug similar to the plugin for Wordpress, just trying to help eliminate the immediate...
  • @Nettric Thanks for the suggestion. My system is on a LAN and not open to the 'public'. All tickets are created via manual staff entries or incoming emails. I would like to filter the emails for SPAM on a local level rather than domain level, because there is little control at the domain level via my ISP control panel/dashboard. I have tried the latter and have missed some important mails in various departments as a result.
  • I would recommend that you setup something like SpamAssassin (software) or purchase a hardware solution (like the BArracuda Spam Firewall), however both of these are sort of beyond the scope of these forums. :)
  • Thanks, will do some investigation in due course.