Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Edit ticket message

It missed an edit button who can alow to edit user message in the ticket and also operator message. Can be this implemented?

Comments

• It missed an edit button who can alow to edit user message in the ticket and also operator message. Can be this implemented?
    I mean operator or admin must have the rigth to edit messages. Maybe user too, edit only his message. This can be added in the OsTicket settings so admin can decide if activate or not this function.
  • No.  Not only no, but HELL no.

The entire point of a system like this is to add accountability and documented flow and history of an issue. There is no legitimate reason I can think of why people (staff) should be able to edit a message after it has been sent to the customer (users).  This totally defeats accountability.  If staff said something wrong (misleading, inaccurate, angry, etc) they are should and are accountable.  I personally will never advocate for a feature like this, and will actively advocate against it.
  • Totally agree with @ntozier here! Can't image what (evil) things could be done when this would be implemented!
  • I don't agree but's ok.
    Like i have see when a ticket is created by email there are some plus text who can't removed from operator.. i don't know with OsTicket but's ok. Also i hope for each message is sended an email and email cant be edited so the problem there isn't but's my is only a idea.
  • edited August 2014
    Most ticket system had this ability to can edit message. I understood what you say but I dislike to se Osticket is not able to provide full control of the ticket. I know different other support ticket system who alow user to edit messages.
  • edited August 2014
    AFAIK, you still could use phpmyadmin and edit the message directly in the database if you have access to it but yes, it will defeat the accountability issue
  • edited August 2014
    Edit thread is a valid feature, for any ticket system, to be able to correct bad misinformation

> Yes.  Not only yes, but HELL yes. (sorry Neil ;))

Case in point, I have edited this post several times!!!!
    (this brings up the issue, why isn't the osTicket site using osTicket for this forum)

How it is implimeted, is another issue. it should ceratinly re email that thread to all involved.
     Maybe something like  NOT this  in the eedited version  should be created for changes, or 
    if you don't like the idea of updating  existing rows in the db, thaen have it add a new thread with the changes.This brings up the isue that it needs to have  a mechansm that allows  a hierachy within threads  to allow for multiple active issues and be able to make sense out of the mesage and response especially considering the thread  histore does not get sent for a new rmesage/response, (unless you use a mail client to do the post, instead of using o ticket to  add post.)
    Please  correct me if I r have missed any existing  vital features, that would allow these things.
    I am only going on feed back from my customers. and internal use.
    Sometimes there can be several ppl Uesrers/staff involed in the one ticket and several conversation going on at the same same  time, without a Hierarchy featiure, it is very hard to follow then posts, and with out an Edit feature, the number iof posts can grow very quickly.

I believe that None of these  colored edits are relevant to the discussuion. and should not require addition row
    in the backend.
    The system should,  in  X minutes  after the last edit, email  the changes to all involved. 
    possiblyit  shouldhave  original post as a before  then the new one as  the after.

• edited August 2014
    Thank you rshep2 I agree with you
    Edit thread is a valid feature, for any ticket system, to be able to correct bad misinformation

> Yes.  Not only yes, but HELL yes. (sorry Neil ;))

Case in point, I have edited this post several times!!!!(this brings up the issue, why isn't the osTicket site using osTicket for thi. forum)

How it is implimeted, is another issue. it should ceratinly re email that thread to all involved.

Maybe something like  NOT this  in the eedited version  should be created for changes, or 

if you don't like the idea of updating  existing rows in the db, thaen have it add a new thread with the changes.This brings up the isue that it needs to have  a mechansm that allows  a hierachy within threads  to allow for multiple active issues and be able to make sense out of the mesage and response especially considering the thread  histore does not get sent for a new rmesage/response, (unless you use a mail client to do the post, instead of using o ticket to  add post.)

Please  correct me if I r have missed any existing  vital features, that would allow these things.

I am only going on feed back from my customers. and internal use.

Sometimes there can be several ppl Uesrers/staff involed in the one ticket and several conversation going on at the same same  time, without a Hierarchy featiure, it is very hard to follow then posts, and with out an Edit feature, the number iof posts can grow very quickly.
    Nice and true thinks, I'm happy to not be alone.
  • haf afafaf
  • edited August 2014
    No.  Not only no, but HELL no.
    The entire point of a system like this is to add accountability and documented flow and history of an issue. There is no legitimate reason I can think of why people (staff) should be able to edit a message after it has been sent to the customer (users).  This totally defeats accountability.  If staff said something wrong (misleading, inaccurate, angry, etc) they are should and are accountable.  I personally will never advocate for a feature like this, and will actively advocate against it.
    I suppose ticket system is for help user. Some times some message have some error or too text or just want to add a details on the message without send new one with other new one notification. Webticket can always can be watched online and is not in the interest of the support staff edit in bad ways messages.

Also you can add the right to edit ticket so sistem administrator can decide to not give (in their system ( the right to edit message) but also OsTicket will be able to give this future who are present in most important ticket system. I think is correct user, system admin can choose.

I respect your think but I think this features will complete OsTicket who are incomplete for me now without control of the ticket messages.

Can't think world are all bad. I understand the thinks to not made the staff able to edit a ticket but from side staff you have less control of your webticket.

Also is not true the user will lost everything because email are always sent I hope and email should be have the original ticket message. This is the way I have see work many support ticket system.

Is more complete and complex a system that alow to edit and have this feauture too. Is less complex and dull a system who don't alow the administrator to edit manage his self system.

I'm only user, you are moderator and staff and you decide what to do.

I'm happy to have heard some one else than me who support "my idea" of what is missed in OsTicket. Is for me the first think I see when I tested OsTicket.. The impossibility to manage ticket messages.

Only write, read and have it printed forever, not means if you are operator or administrator, for now in OsTicket you have no power to edit, manage message, put * in customer offensive message or many other think. Edit message can be very more nice as you think. You see only the bad way of this but bad people continue to love and will choose other ticket system if they want use in bad ways the support ticket.
  • Neil, have we managed to change your mind on Edit being a valuable feaaure or not?
    and also what about adding hierarchy to the threads, and being able to  reply to a particular thread
    rather than just adding to the end of the chain,
    I would like to know your opinion on this, and also from other osTicket developers, and want to get a handle  on the future direction the development of the product is taking.
    I have had osTiocket under trial in house at my company now for 2 months, and need to make a decision an whether to stick with it.(osTicket ppls  attitudes on what is good and bad features is important to know.)

Ie for example I am interested in adding the ability to track internal times spen on work.
    At the moment I am usimg the Internal Noutes feature.
    and putting messages like
    Time: 0.5
    or
    Quote: 1.25
    and have written a web query so that this information  can be pulled by accounts stafdf dirctly in Excel
    which is what they use.
    It would be nice if this was incoprated into the osTick Application and DB properly.

• Sorry to see this discussion is leaved out.
    I was so happy who Osticket can be translate in other language with HTML email support and other great function.. but not alow to administrator to alow or not admin or super operator and operator to choose to let edit the ticket body message.

For respect your filosofy to don't let the operator edit the body message you can think you can add this great feauture and let the webmaster (who install the ticket system) to decide in the system install and options if alow or not the ticket body edit of messages.

My acctually system ticket alow me to have full control of the ticket:
    - i can hold a ticket for block client replyes
    - i can edit client message if there is too much text copied from an email so like client message+ under the previous email so i can edit the message for remove old not necessary comment..

Or if i write some world wrong i can edit the ticket or i can hear client on phone and edit ticket with correct information so client at phone don't receve new message and email and ticket can have less message and be more clear..

A solution for respect your idea to not alow ticket body message to be editet is let the admin install choose if he want's alow company operator to edit or not..

I will look some times if OsTicket can support this in the future so i can change my support ticket system to this.. for now without this function are incomplete for me.
    Sorry and thanks.
    I'm happy to see someone else think like me and i fully respect your point of view but sad to have no support of this function who are now implemeted in many support ticket system who give you the fully control of some system in your server!. You are the admin, if you don't have the right to correct and edit.. what are only a super user? :)

Have a good time and job.

I relly like this ticket system but i need this more support function for can see work on my server.
  • You can understand what is ticket control by testing Hesk Help Desk. You can delete a message or edit.. and this let free to manage ticket.

OsTicket is better for email filters, interface more modern.. but not alow to manage fully the ticket.. because the admin or operator can't be able to have full access to message edit, delete..

Also there is issue switching from a language to another.. actually some page or some field are not translated in Osticket..

I hope all this can be implemeted.