Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

50% of following emails create new tickets (WTF... no merging possible!)

Seriously guys, who creates a ticket system without the ability to merge tickets? If I'll continue with osTicket, this will be the first patch for my deployment.

Right now, I'm quite unhappy with the existing ticket detection for incoming mails. I forwarded an email with subject "Fwd: m Net [#152884]" and I got ...tara... a new ticket.
I also tried email subjects with [Ticket #129549] and #586838 - sometimes they are attached to the right ticket, sometimes they create a new ticket.

Is there a reliable way to attach incoming mails to a ticket?

Best regards,
Josef

Comments

• Jost, please provide info about your set up. That looks like a configuration issue, I've been using osticket for a long time, and all of my custs replies get attached to their respective tickets, it works perfectly even for customers who have more than one ticket with the same email, and that they are replying from their email accounts.

Regards,

Marvin M
  • You haven't really supplied us with enough information to assist you.  Please help us to help you by reading and following the posting guidelines located in this thread: Please read before requesting assistance.  The more information you give us the better we will be able to assist you. Thank you.

Version of osTicket?
    Is the person replying the ticket opener/owner, staff, or a collaborator?

Feel free to write the merge feature up and submit it on github... this is after all open source.
  • edited August 2015
    Hi guys,

osTicket (v1.9.11) on Nginx
    Except Nginx, almost all settings vanilla. MTA is postfix, mail is fetched from dovecot via IMAP by /etc/crontab.

Email clients: Thunderbird, Android Mail App, Outlook 2010/13, Roundcube Webmail, Horde Webmail, ...

Typical workflow:
    A customer sends an email with a new issue to my email address. I forward this email to the osTicket instance and wait for the reply with the ticket number. Then I reply to the customers original mail, but with #NNN, [#NNN], or [Ticket #NNN] at the end of the header and CC to osTicket. Sometimes this creates new tickets, sometimes it matches the tickets.
    If the customer replys to this email with the ticket number in the subject, it sometimes works and sometimes not. I see no correlation with the format of the ticket number, it looks random.

I bolded some words because in my workflow some information in the email header that osTicket relies on might get lost.

I'm testing osTicket since three weeks now with one customer, 8 users and two agents. Almost 5030% of the 3043 tickets are duplicates right now. The email feature was not active in the first week and older tickets that have been edited only via the webinterface are ok.

Edt: Almost all problematic tickets belong to a guest user with my email address, he has 20 open tickets. My agent account uses the same email address, but as I understand the db table structure, user and agent are completly different.
  • Sounds to me like your problem is your work flow.
    You're breaking the message-id threading from the header of the emails.
    You should have osTicket pick up the emails and create the tickets instead of forwarding.
    You should reply to the emails that are generated by osTicket [which logs as an internal update], or use the UI to send your response to the client.
  • I'm not willing to share my own mailbox with osTicket ;-)

Here's my latest finding:

1. Customer replies to an email, guess MUA is Outlook:
      Subject: =?utf-8?B?XXXXXXX?=
      =?utf-8?Q?XXXX?=
      Thread-Topic: =?utf-8?B?XXXXXXX?=
       =?utf-8?XXXX?=
      Thread-Index: AQHQ4K9ZGJ7DPEdRhEKEvI76QAz65p4hch6A
      Message-ID: <82B13B69A66D3E4EA31F942D36949F15323D3C29@SERVER.customer.local>
      References: <52D5B850.5000404@mydomain.tld> <52DEDFB2.6060209@mydomain.tld>
      In-Reply-To: <52DEDFB2.6060209@mydomain.tld>
      OK, ticket get's added correctly.
    2. I reply to this email from my Android device and a new ticket get's created :-(
    I don't have access to osTickets IMAP mailbox, but here's how the header of the Android sent email looks in my Sent Items:

Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_AW:_Foobar=
     =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Foobar__[#670629]?=
    Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:48:38 +0200
    To: Some One <someone@his.tld>
    CC: "Some OneElse" <SomeOneElse@her.tld>, osticket@mydomain.tld
    Message-ID: <hhin2gsais3vlsaf7jwrxcny.1440773233753@email.android.com>
    Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----7YQL83FTIVQ0PR25L4PGNGDO8GPOCT"
    MIME-Version: 1.0

I have not read osTicket's sourcecode yet. Does it only search for header information, and not for a ticket number in the subject? Or has it decoding problems with ISO-8859-1 subjects?
  • You shouldn't be sharing an inbox... you should be setting up an inbox explicitly for osTicket.

I personally added [#%{ticket.number}] to the beginning of my email templates.  For osTicket to fall back to ticket #, it needs to be in the format of #TICKETNUM.  I believe that if the person who sent it, or replies to it isn't a collaborator or the owner then it will probably never match properly.  But then I dont forward emails to the ticket system and hope that they will open a ticket.  I move the email from one inbox to the other with a key press in Outlook.

Your headers do not have any matching Message-ID's.