Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Upgrade from 1.6 failed - any help?

I am trying to upgrade my old osticket and have stalled.  I hope someone will be able to help.

I took a backup of the database.
First, I tried to update using the update link that Plesk has.  That failed.

Then I tried to do it from osticket admin interface.  The update process first said the steps as per the attachment "osticket update phase 1".  Then it failed.  The main email said as per "errors 1" attachment:

and I was getting tens of emails with errors like the "errors 2" attachment

I hope someone knows how to resolve this and look forward to any help.  Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Not sure that the attachments are above.  Update phase 1 email said:
    Applying updates to database stream: core
    In order to upgrade to this version of osTicket, a database migration is required. This upgrader will automatically apply the database patches shipped with osTicket since your last upgrade.

The upgrade wizard will now attempt to upgrade your database and core settings! Below is a summary of the database patches to be applied.

v1.6 RC5
    v1.6 ST
    v1.7
    v1.7-DPR1 (P1)
    v1.7-DPR2-P2
    60fcbee1
    f8856d56
    abe9c0cb
    1.7-dpr3 ticket-event-annul
    1.7-dpr3 installerfix
    c2d2fabf
    1.7-rc1 default-paper-size
    1.7-rc1 ipv6-addresses
    1.7-rc1 canned-response-in-filter
    1.7-rc1 Dept_Access
    1.7-rc2 - nested help topics.
    v1.7 RC3
    v1.7 RC2+
    v1.7 RC2+
    f4da0c9b
    00ff231f
    v1.7 RC4
    v1.7
    v1.7
    v1.7.1
    v1.7.1
    v1.7.1
    v1.7.1
    v1.7.1
    v1.8.0
    1.8.0 - HTML ticket thread
    v1.8.0-dpr1 Dynamic Forms
    1.8-stable
    v1.8.1 - Plugins: Add plugin management system
    v1.8 - Collaboration: Add support for ticket collaborators
    v1.8.1: Various schema improvements and bug fixes
    v1.8.1: Pluggable Storage Backends
    v1.8.1: Add regex field to ticket filters
    v1.9.0: Add client login feature
    v1.9.0: Add organization features
    v1.9.0: Move organization support from UserAccount to User model.
    v1.9.4: Custom Ticket Numbers and Statuses
    v1.9.4: Add properties filed and drop 'resolved' state
  • error 1 file:

[/**
     * @version v1.6 RC5
     * @signature e342f869c7a537ab3ee937fb6e21cdd4
     *  Upgrade from 1.6 RC1-4 to 1.6 RC5
     */

ALTER TABLE `config`
        CHANGE `default_priority` `default_priority_id` TINYINT( 2 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '2',
        CHANGE `default_template` `default_template_id` TINYINT( 4 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',
        CHANGE `default_email` `default_email_id` TINYINT( 4 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
        CHANGE `default_dept` `default_dept_id` TINYINT( 3 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
        CHANGE `enable_pop3_fetch` `enable_mail_fetch` TINYINT( 1 ) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
        CHANGE `api_key` `api_passphrase` VARCHAR( 125 ) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci NULL] Unknown column 'default_priority' in 'config'
  • the many errors:

[ SELECT id FROM content WHERE `type`='banner-staff']

Table 'domain_osticket.content' doesn't exist<br /> <br />
    ---- Backtrace ----<br />
    #0 (root)/include/mysqli.php(177): osTicket->logDBError('DB Error #1146', '[ SELECT id FRO...')<br />
    #1 (root)/include/class.page.php(218): db_query(' SELECT id FROM...')<br />
    #2 (root)/scp/login.php(26): Page::getIdByType('banner-staff')<br />
    #3 (root)/scp/staff.inc.php(54): require('/var/www/vhosts...')<br />
    #4 (root)/scp/staff.inc.php(75): staffLoginPage('Authentication ...')<br />
    #5 (root)/scp/tickets.php(17): require('/var/www/vhosts...')<br />
    #6 (root)/scp/index.php(17): require('/var/www/vhosts...')<br />
    #7 {main}

[SELECT id, `key`, value, `updated` FROM config WHERE `namespace` = 'staff.1']

Unknown column 'key' in 'field list'<br /> <br />
    ---- Backtrace ----<br />
    #0 (root)/include/mysqli.php(177): osTicket->logDBError('DB Error #1054', '[SELECT id, `ke...')<br />
    #1 (root)/include/class.config.php(46): db_query('SELECT id, `key...')<br />
    #2 (root)/include/class.staff.php(71): Config->Config('staff.1')<br />
    #3 (root)/include/class.staff.php(40): Staff->load('christoph')<br />
    #4 (root)/include/class.usersession.php(169): Staff->Staff('christoph')<br />
    #5 (root)/include/class.auth.php(513): StaffSession->__construct('christoph')<br />
    #6 (root)/include/class.auth.php(487): StaffAuthenticationBackend->validate('christoph')<br />
    #7 (root)/scp/staff.inc.php(59): StaffAuthenticationBackend::getUser()<br />
    #8 (root)/scp/autocron.php(18): require('/var/www/vhosts...')<br />
    #9 {main}
  • "I took a backup of the database."

Really good, but did you also take a backup of the osTicket installation directory on your webserver? (Hope so...)

My suggestion is to upgrade to an older version first / upgrade in multiple steps.
    So e.g. download 1.6 ST or 1.7.0 first and try to upgrade to them before upgrading further to 1.8.x or 1.9.x.

You can e.g. download several versions from osTicket.com by altering the version number in the URL:

However 1.6 ST can be downloaded here:
  • edited October 2015
    Thank you Chefkeks
    I do have the file structure from our weekly backup.
    I'm not 100% sure how to do incremental backups having downloaded the zip file.  Can you help with that?  I was enjoying the Plesk/osTicket "Update" button, leaving all the hard work to that!!
    Can I upgrade to 1.6ST when the failure email suggested that it was the upgrade to 1.5 which failed?  Could be that Plesk changed the file structure in some way.
  • I'd suggest to try upgrading to 1.6 ST (ST = Stable) first.

Once you have successfully done that upgrade to 1.6 ST, backup your database and the osTicket files on your webserver.

After the backup, try to upgrade to 1.7.x or 1.8.x or 1.9.x. When the upgrade e.g. to 1.7.x worked, again, make a backup of your database and the osTicket files on your webserver. When a upgrade then fails, revert to the backup you've taken before your last upgrade attempt.

Do this procedure (backup, upgrade, backup, upgrade, and so on) until you're at 1.9.12 or until an error appears. If the latter happens, let us know the error details.
  • edited October 2015
    I will do that.  At http://osticket.com/wiki/Upgrade_and_Migration it says:
    "For user using control panels like CPanel or Plesk, you can utilize the systems file manager to upload the package to your server then simply extract the package while making sure the path hierarchy is maintained."
    Can I put the zip files into the relevant osticket sub-folder as per the attachment and then extract it also as per the capture?  I do not want to delete/overwrite anything that I must not!
    osticket-file-structure.jpg
    974 x 878 - 286K
  • To update you MUST overwrite the complete osTicket directory with the new files from the zip archive you downloaded. Therefore make a backup of the directory before you overwrite the files.

As an alternative you can extract the archive with the new files to a new directory and copy over the config file (include/ost_config.php) to the new directory then, but I'd recommend to easily overwrite the old stuff.
  • But is it really real to upgrade from 1.6 to the 1.9?

As I understand 1.6 was discontinued. So it is not easy to migrate as 1.7 has very different database it cannot be just imported (i tried it the whole 1 day). 

Surely, if you upgrade by 0.x steps, maybe it ill add fields one-by-one...but i'm not sure it is easy... 

Give here an answer if you would reach it.
  • upgrading is upgrading.  There is no difference from upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7 or from 1.6 to 1.9.