Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Departments - Is there a way??

Hi,

Love this software!

Is there a way to have different departments, with different signatures? We have several small websites that we are wanting to run through osTicket, but I am hoping there is a way to make each website have it's own department or a way to customize transnational emails between those separate websites and osTicket. Just to give it a more personalized 'feel' for each website. Right now we are using one email address to send information back to osticket and everything that comes back to the customer looks generic.

Hope I explained that correctly.
Thanks!

Comments

• Q: Is there a way to have different departments, with different signatures?
    A: each department can have its own signature.

Q: We have several small websites that we are wanting to run through
    osTicket, but I am hoping there is a way to make each website have it's
    own department or a way to customize transnational emails between those
    separate websites and osTicket.
    A: This is a tougher question.  Currently, not really.  But what you could do is use the ticket API to have a form on each site open the ticket.  Since each would be coming from some place specific... you could then use a custom response based on the domain name.  But if they visit the ticket site it wouldn't be customized.

The plan is to have a themable and eventually a multiple site support feature, but I am unsure when these features will finally be introduced.  The development cycle was on fire for a little while there but has since slowed down again (unfortunately).
  • @ntozier Yes, we do have a form on each site that is found on the actual site that works via API, so it looks like they are initially starting the process on the site. The problem for us is, we have our emails, lets say helpdesk.mysite.com that we are using as a return address on all the sites so that osticket can grab those emails if they reply.

How would I setup each department to have it's own signature? And do you think it would be a good idea to just setup each department as if they are representing each site?

Just trying to wrap my mind around it.

• you could setup separate emails for each department (admin panel -> emails, then go to admin panel -> users -> departments and set the email

To setup a separate signature for each Department:
    go to Admin panel -> Agents -> Departments
    click on department.
    edit Department Signature

A good idea?  Hmmm.  I feel like that's a branding or marketing question. I think that if I had multiple sites and wanted to do what you are talking about I would make my osTicket installation look like it is a separate entity that provides support for other companies.  And just run it as a separate entity... but that's totally a single persons opinion.

• Great idea.

Is there a way to set variables in the emails so that when the osticket system receives them via customer's initial  response, it can properly assign it to the correct department? And maybe add other internal information that might be helpful when the ticket is first opened?

• When a email generates a ticket... yes.  That's what Ticket Filters are for. :)
    Admin panel -> Manage -> Ticket Filters.  Although it sounds like you should be setting the department via the API when you open the ticket initially... not on a customer response.
  • Although it sounds like you should be setting the department via the API when you open the ticket initially... not on a customer response.

Yes, that is the way we have it configured when they fill out a ticket on the sites.

But it would be very nice to know when the customer responds to things like invoices or tracking emails, we would have more detailed information about what site they were on, etc. etc.

And on a side note, when I click on Ticket Filters, the screen just turns white. I am wondering if it is a PHP7 issue. We modified ours to work with PHP7 (v1.8)

• And alittle confused on how the Ticket Filters would accomplish this? My point was, would the filters be able to add information into the ticket system by adding snippets of code that were initially embedded into the emails that were sent to the customer?
  • "But
    it would be very nice to know when the customer responds to things like
    invoices or tracking emails, we would have more detailed information
    about what site they were on, etc. etc."
    Their responses update the existing ticket... so you can either modify the ticket open (API) a script to update custom fields initiailly with that information, or assume it based on the department the ticket is in.

Yes, a white screen indicates a PHP error.

Ticket Filters would only be used if they emailed your ticket system directly to open a ticket (to place the ticket in the proper department).  "by adding snippets of code that were initially embedded into the emails that were sent to the customer? " all email information is saved in the ticket thread.  So anything you sent in the email to the customer is in the ticket... so I guess I dont get what your asking.