Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

User name and telephone number for subsequent tickets

I'm using ost v1.9.8 for this purpose.

I've created multiple tickets using the same user email address, but with different user name and telephone number.

I found that for subsequent tickets, OST will simply match user by email address, and then latest user name and telephone number will NOT be captured in OST, even for the subsequent tickets.

Why?

So OST will always create a user according to email address, and any future tickets with the same email addresses will not capture their latest name and telephone number?
Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2016
    Name not updated is still not crucial. 

If user have got new telephone number, they have entered when creating new tickets, but the updated telephone number is NOT captured in the system, this pose some problems for follow up communications.

• Q: Why?
    A: Because that's how osTicket matches the incoming emails to the existing user.  In osTicket ALL users must have a unique email address... It's already captured the information and saved it to the database.

As a side note using one account for multiple people provides 0 accountability... which would be a horrible practice for ANY use case.
  • @ntozierAgreed that each email address should be a unique USER in OST.

So any subsequent changes of user name or telephone numbers should be manually updated to the list of User in ostickets please?

Problem is that any updated user name and telephone numbers entered at any subsequent tickets are not captured in OST. Users thought they have updated the system but Agents have no details received.

Any workaround please?
  • Q: So any subsequent changes of user name or telephone numbers should be manually updated to the list of User in ostickets please?
    A: Negative.  If you want to update the user you will have to go into the UI and update the user.

If I originally sent an email of "First Last" <flast@domain.tld>... it creates a user with that information.
    If I then turned around and decided to be rude or a jerk, I could send an email from "F*** YOU A*****E" <flast@domain.tld>, and have the system automatically update my name.  This is not only just plain insecure, but a potential attack vector for griefing.

If you want to update your users they can do it in their profile after they log in, or you can do it for them.