Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Open tickets - "waiting for customer" vs "waiting for staff"

Hello,
I just started using osTicket and currently looking for a way to distinguish open tickets between those that require response from support staff and those that are waiting for customer response. So I modified list "Ticket Status" and now instead of single "Open" status I have two statuses - "Open - waiting for customer" and "Open - waiting for support staff". "State" of both statuses is open.

But my problem is that under "Ticket" page I still see only "Open", "My Tickets" "Overdue" and "Closed" quick filters and "Open" filter brings me all tickets with state "Open". What I would like to achieve is one or more of the following:

1. Have "Open - waiting for customer" and "Open - waiting for support staff" options under "Tickets" page in "Agent" panel
2. Have "Ticket status" column in the resulting table so that I could sort list by this status, not just state "Open"

There is "Advanced" option, which brings "Advanced Ticket Search" dialog where I can select one of my customized statuses as search criteria. It works well and gives me expected search results. But URL of search result is not permanent - it ends with something like 
"?advsid=510dcfb0e825b0d3833b0b121cb9b352". So:
3. Can there be an option to "save this search"?
4. Is it possible to construct a URL that I could bookmark and that will filter tickets using my custom statuses?

The URL under "Open" option ends with "?status=open" but looks like it actually filters by state, not status

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Thank you!

Comments

• It sounds what you are describing is the new custom queue feature that's supposed to be coming out in 1.11.
  • Thank you ntozier,

are you confirming that until then there is no other way to easily distinguish those 2 ticket states but to perform "advanced search" every time? 

Another my question:
    When that feature will be implemented (in 1.11) I'll probably need to update all my records with my current custom statuses to a new schema. Do you have any suggestion of what would be a best way to get prepared for that new schema? Maybe I can start use current dev code as a mod before 1.11 is released?
  • Q: are you confirming that until then there is no other way to easily distinguish those 2 ticket states but to perform "advanced search" every time?

A: Yes, you would need to do an Adv Search for now.

Q: Do you have any suggestion of what would be a best way to get prepared for that new schema?

A: Huh? Your custom statuses were added via the Statuses list right? If so then there wouldnt be anything to prepare for...

Q: Maybe I can start use current dev code as a mod before 1.11 is released?

A: I never recommend using dev code in a production environment.
  • In my open queue, I use the bold ticket number to tell which tickets the user was the last person to comment on (waiting for staff) and the non-bold ticket number to tell which tickets the agent was the last person to comment on (waiting for customer). 

Its not ideal I suppose, but if i also use the new sort of "Most recently answered" I can see which tickets by "Last response" and tell which were by users and which were by agent.

• Thank you blueyeguy for sharing your experience,

I paid attention to those bold numbers and it seems to be working similarly to "unread mails" in a mail client. Is that correct? If yes then the following may happen:

1. an agent opens a ticket, reads it and starts some investigation himself, passes question to other people, creates an issue in bug tracker, etc. Very often agent doesn't have an answer immediately. So the ticket is now "read" (not bold) but still waiting for staff

2. an agent does answer something to a client. But doing it not always means switching ticket to "waiting for customer" state. Sometimes it than one action is required to answer a request. In this case the ticket is still waiting for staff but is not bold 

3. a manager assigns ticket to someone else from the staff. the ticket becomes "read" for this this manager but they cannot (easily) control the process - it won't be very clear from list of open tickets what tickets are at what state.

"i also use the new sort of "Most recently answered" I can see which tickets by "Last response" and tell which were by users and which were by agent." - this is sounds interesting! Can you please elaborate on this part? Where and how can you tickets by "Last response"  and how can you "tell which were by users and which were by agent." - the last thing could cover at least half cases...
  • As far as I know its not a read/unread. If you don't put a response on a ticket, it stays bold. Even if you put an internal note on a ticket, it stays bold. As long as the user was the last person to respond on the ticket, it is bold. As soon as an agent responds to the user, it changes to regular/unbolded.

The "Most recently answered" sort option is available in 1.10 in the upper right corner of the queue screen (see attached), and then changes the Last Updated column to a Last Response date column (see attached) and as i said before, the bold ones are the ones that the end user was the most recent response, and the regular/unbolded ones are the ones that the agent was the last to respond on. Again internal notes do not count as a response and do not remove the bold. 
    imageimage
    Recently Answered.jpg
    493 x 423 - 47K
    Last Response.JPG
    283 x 500 - 47K
  • First of all thank you for the question, as much of my issue tracking is completely dependent on replying as quickly as possible, and I'm responsible if the reaching out to the user for following up if they haven't within a reasonable period of time.

Managing some of these common ways of searching for and listing tickets is bizarrely absent or backwards it seems.

The concepts of "who last responded" and "how long ago did they last respond" are fundamental and foundational to an issue tracking system.  What issue tracking system doesn't auto-close tickets, therefore being able to produce "how long ago was the last response" on a constant basis.

It is not a feature, but a bug, that I would have to look through a list and visually look for bold numbers to figure out which tickets require replies.  Let's not pretend that is an organized way to manage an issue tracking system in any way, whatsoever.  

What @Michaelvi describes is maybe not a default configuration, but certainly a standard easy-to-achieve configuration.  Anything more than an amateur issue tracking system would do this very easily - I've tested at least 15 systems it's always in there, clear as day.

The general idea being, and OMG do not email me to tell me that you don't do it this way - Tickets requiring your reply would logically take all priority over tickets where you are waiting to hear back from the client.  Aside from specific situations where a specific ticket requires action, (obviously talking about tickets with similar priority) no support person in any field anywhere would be directed to look through already answered tickets before those who are waiting on your reply.  That's absurd, and that should be the exception, not the rule.  The way these options for what to include in the open ticket listing were divided in the program, I made the wrong choices.  Not sure what the default config was, honestly.

But I have this partially worked out by not including answered tickets in my open queue.  I believe (?) that this gives me open = waiting on me and answered = waiting on customer.  I don't need an advanced search for that, it just works.

The reason I'm complaining about the glaring lack of concept is that it's compounded by the inability to search for tickets with a last reply date of more than X days ago.  I can search for replies within the past X days, but not for tickets WITHOUT replies in the past X days?  So I'll list the answered tickets, sort them in last response descending order, and manually send out requests to follow up.  Do I really have to even be bothered doing manual calculations of who I want to send those?  So annoying.  I can't search on "Last Reply not within the past 3 days" I can only search for "within the past 3 days."  Is there actually a way to edit that search that I don't know about because there is no documentation anywhere to be found? 

Not only that, but it gets worse!  When I go to create a filter, there is no ability to search for tickets based on the last reply date.   What in the world!?

[That would be the basis for an auto-close function, which, unbelievably, OSTicket does not have?  I mean really?]

The last point made is that if I am creating a ticket for a customer, for gosh sake, it's considered answered... I have to mark these tickets answered so they don't show up in my open queue?  

I thought I researched this software thoroughly but I never expected to see advanced search functions that were so crippled.  I'm so frustrated, clearly.

The least of which being how this text box I'm typing in on this forum doesn't expand and is only 12 lines of text so tiny I need magnifying glass to read it.
  • edited January 21
    @robthecomputerguy

Thank you for your feedback, however please do not highjack other's threads. If you have a question, please start your own thread, and Please help us to help you by reading and following the posting guidelines located in this thread: Please read before requesting assistance.  The more information you give us the better we will be able to assist you. Thank you.