Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Mail Sending Error

Hello All,

I have a conundrum, I have set osTicket to use SMTP for sending mails, and have an account (xxx@me.com) set up. When I do a test mail, mails from xxx@me.com to other email accounts on me.com e.g (yyy@me.com) delivers successfully, but mails to outside domain (let's use GMAIL as an example) gives the following:

Unable to email via php mail function:xxx@gmail.com mail() returned failure

Can someone explain why the php mail function is still being used even after I have specified in Email--->settings--->Outgoing Email that the Default MTA should be xxx@me.com.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• My understanding is that this is a fall back mechanism of osTicket especially for sending notifications to the admin (like error messages that an used email account or server is not reachable or is making trouble). 
  • But it is not sending to any other domain asides my domain.

Cheers!
  • edited December 2017
    I only explained why there is a second mechanism which tries to send an email even when you specified an an email account for sending with smtp. But I think you would like to know why you have problems sending some mails with with that account.

That you have not asked yet ;-)

Could it be that you are doing things that are not allowed on this mail server (maybe only within your domain) ?
    Maybe it helps when you are showing the setup for the smtp account you are using..