Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Thoughts on replies to tickets

osticket version : 1.7.0 stable

I'm not sure where to start this thread, so I'll put it under general. I want to get some thoughts on the best way to avoid replies to emails creating new tickets. It's a simple enough issue, but I'd like to get some input.

Here's the scenario :

1. Jane creates a ticket by sending an email to [email]help@nowhere.com[/email].
2. I go in and post a reply to Jane through osticket's interface.
3. Jane replies to that email and a new ticket is created (I don't want this new ticket to be created because the ticket was created in step 1 above).

When I was running 1.6 I added some code that just had osticket ignore any tickets that contained "[rR][eE]":, which is a really dirty, hacky way to do it.

Now that I'm running 7, I'd like to be able to keep the code untouched if possible.

I've thought that maybe I could change the reply to address when the emails go back out (I haven't looked into this as far as whether or not you can do it from osticket's prefs).

Or I could modify the code that creates tickets from emails and do the same thing that I was doing in 1.6.

Has anyone else ran into this and if so, what did you do to get around it?

Thanks much,

Adam

Comments

• Adam,

Step #3 shouldn't be happening - replies gets threaded as part of the original ticket.

That said, you can change outgoing email to a [email]noreply@yourdomain.com[/email] at department level. Also consider adding a warning to outgoing email templates... e.g "Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. To add additional comments go to ".
  • Peter,

You are quite right. Replies do get threaded now.

thanks,

Adam
  • One thing you could do, is edit the templates so that the email received does not contain the message (only a link to the ticket). In this case, the only way for them to see the message is to click on a link that goes to the ticket. From there it will be obvious not to reply via email.
  • What if you want them to reply to your emails though, and not through the submission forum? I see what Adam is referring to in his first post.

Occasionally when a reply comes in, a new case is created. This is problematic, because if the original case was assigned to you, you now have to go find it in the Open queue after wondering why a new reply hasn't threaded in on the case. See this screenshot of an example: http://screencast.com/t/ltUvMJ30J

Is this happening because the Subj line change? The "RE:" is appended to it?

I can modify the subject line in the reply template to avoid that, I guess.

Also, being new to OSTicket, is there any manual of sorts, so I can RTFM? I didn't see one on my first few glances.

Thoughts on the repeating cases?

Regards,
    Chad.
  • Chad,

While I cant really speak on the first part of your email, the only real documentation for osTicket is located at the wiki (top of the page there is a link) at http://osticket.com/wiki/Home
  • ntozier;41812 said:
    Chad,

While I cant really speak on the first part of your email, the only real documentation for osTicket is located at the wiki (top of the page there is a link) at http://osticket.com/wiki/Home
    Thanks. I found it last night and was pouring though it. Thankfully, (and compliments to the contributors!) OS Ticket has a very intuitive file structure, which makes mod planning that much easier. (e.g. class.email.php, class.mailparse.php, class.ticket.php, etc).

Take care,
    Chad.
  • Replies Recreating Cases

I found my problem on the recreating cases issue. It might not be the same issue as Adam's, but if you're having a duplicating case problem, make sure your Subject lines are the same format, between your Auto Responses.

I had my New Ticket Auto-Response Subj: set to %{ticket.subject} [#%{ticket.number}],

And the Response/Reply template set to "RE: %{ticket.subject}".

The email clients on the other end of that transmission were treating them as different threads, so their replies were generating new cases, coming from a new email with a unique header.

Much more organized after sorting that out!

Regards,
    Chad.