Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Send Email (CC) to alternative email adresses

edited November 2013 in Suggestions and Feedback
Hello Everyone,
This is my first time posting, and I just successfully installed v1.7.0 in a test environment. The new features seem great!

I would love to see a feature where I can respond to a ticket, and include more than one email address. Example/

[email]John1@contoso.com[/email] submits a help ticket, and the subject it involves his coworkers. (Steve1@contoso.com, and [email]James1@contoso.com[/email].)

It would be great to be able to email all three of them with one reply email.
I know this version is still very new, but that feature would be nice!!
Thanks for a great product!:D

Comments

• I'm using OSTicket in a production environment and occasionally need to make a reply to more folks than the ticket submitter. Adding more than one email address to a support reply would be great.

TO: [email]replytouser1@foo.com[/email], [email]replytouser2@foo.com[/email], ...
    OR
    TO: [email]replytouser1@foo.com[/email]
    CC: [email]replytouser2@foo.com[/email]

Thanks Bgraham for suggesting this.
  • ewhitecap;39047 said:
    I'm using OSTicket in a production environment and occasionally need to make a reply to more folks than the ticket submitter. Adding more than one email address to a support reply would be great.

TO: [email]replytouser1@foo.com[/email], [email]replytouser2@foo.com[/email], ...
    OR
    TO: [email]replytouser1@foo.com[/email]
    CC: [email]replytouser2@foo.com[/email]

Thanks Bgraham for suggesting this.
    X3!

We're getting ready to move into production, and this would be invaluable.
  • I totally agree with this. My Company would also find a CC feature invaluable.
    jhood;39182 said:
    X3!

We're getting ready to move into production, and this would be invaluable.
  • CC and BCC capability on reply to ticket

I would support this being included, as sometimes get question and response that needs to be shared with either supervisor or another person.
  • I agree. In our environment - this would be absolutely necessary. I am pretty sure that we wont be able to use osTicket if this feature doesn't exsit.

That being said, I am going to look into the code to see if this is something that I can implement and will keep you all posted if I am able to get it to work somehow.
  • In progress

Hi All,

I am in the process of writing a mod for this and tying in with my "Staff Reply" mod, and have been flow-charting how I see this working to make sure it operates as well as possible. I will detail my vision on this below and would love to hear some feedback on refining this before I get too deep in writing this.

The way I see it operating;

- UserA sends a support request in via email and CCs UserB and UserC.
    - The system picks up the email, creates the ticket and sends a response to UserA as well as CC'ing UserB and UserC instructing them to direct any responses to the response email (rather than replying all to UserA's original email and generating another ticket).
    - A support staff member updates the ticket and all three Users get a system response.
    - UserB responds to the response email, and CC's UserA and UserD; The system sees UserA is in it's CC list, but as that user was included on UserB's original, opt's not to send them a reply. As UserC was not CC'ed on the email the system sends them an automated response. The system sees UserD is CC'ed on the email but not in the CC list and automatically adds them to the CC list for further responses.
    - UserC has been receiving updates but does not believe he needs to be included on the ticket so responds with #unsubscribe in the email body which the system picks up on and removes him from the system CC field.
    - Support staff members will have the ability to manually add/remove CC'ed users from the web portal, or email in #actions to add/remove CC'ed users.

One thing that I do foresee as a small privacy issue is that any CC'ed user will be able to click the system generated URL in the ticket to view the ticket online and therefore will be able to see all of the requester's other tickets.

Very interested to hear anyone's thoughts the above or any refinements that could be suggested.
  • I think the security issue is moot. If a person is CCing a message from the get-go, or forwards the ticket, the information is out the public anyways.
  • Thanks for the response. It's not that ticket that I see as a security concern, but other tickets the requester may raise.

Here's a scenario:
    I create a ticket with some potentially sensitive information such as "What would the cost and impact be from an IT perspective of closing the regional office and moving all infrastructure into the global office. Please keep this request confidential as it is not public knowledge we are thinking of closing the regional office."
    I then create another ticket "John can't access the CRM system, please assist" and CC John. If John clicks the URL listed in the email reply, he will be able to see this ticket, but also the above above more sensitive ticket I sent through.

I'm sure it won't be a common issue, but something I am mindful of.
  • That is understandable.

How about if emails are CC'd, they have a Different Email Template, which would not list the URL for tracking? They are only CC'd on the responses.
  • I had considered that, but I think it is important the requester can see on the email exactly who is CC'ed (from the header) so they can A) Have them removed if required, and B) If they reply all, they dont think they have to keep manually CC'ing the required recipients.

Maybe as you suggested, people concerned with this can simply remove the url from the reply template.

Any other features or issues you can see in my above scenario that may need work?
  • What if

Requester Enters ticket with request
    "I need a new user setup"

Gets Assigned to tech
    Response "What is the username"

Requester Responds
    "I think it is John Smith. Jane can you provide correct spelling?"
    adds CC to Jane
    (Will the system handle this, or will it become a security hole here?)

and to take it a step further...

Jane responds
    "Sure but we need to confirm the hire date with Bob"
    Jane adds CC to Bob.
    (Would you want the CC'd individuals have the ability to add more CCs to the ticket)?
  • I'm not really concerned too much with that. The requester should be able to trust anyone they CC with the ability to CC others as required.

It's really the same as emailing the request without the ticketing system at the end of the day, just that it is all logged. From a logging perspective you would be able to see that Jane CC'ed in Bob etc.
  • Hi Jemson,

I'm thinking about view ticket online screen only show content of current ticket only, it's don't have link to show another tickets