Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Would an Android/IOS App front-end to osticket be of interest?

Hi there,

I'm thinking about having my application dev guy write an app version front-end for osticket for logging tickets. If we do it, the app would work on Android and IOS devices and maybe other platforms (we use a cross compiling tool to build them).

We have already built apps that do data capture and form submission for our own web based product and I don't think it would be too hard to do this. I've very recently installed OS ticket for our company and it's pretty impressive and I feel that I'd like to contribute something back to the community (but our app would never be open source).

I'm trying to figure out how to make the economics of it work as there will be some real cost to doing this as my app developer is not an employee. Would it be OK if we charged maybe a dollar or two for it to recover the investment? Or would it *have* to be free? Maybe we do our own mini version of kickstarter for this project? Actually maybe we support new development for osticket this way? If there's another way to approach this, I'm completely open to suggestions.

I hope I don't offend anyone with what I've written here and I'm not wanting to subvert the opensource model, I'm just looking to find a smart way to contribute to the development cost. Please let me know if I've crossed the line with this post and I will edit/change/delete anything that needs it.

Assuming we get the economics of it figured out, we'd probably also need some help with the API piece as I can't seem to find any documentation about it.

Please let us know by posting your thoughts on this to the thread, so we can see if there would be support/interest in this.

Regards
Allan

Comments

• While I don't personally think its necessary... From a moderator point of view there have been many posts from people asking for this sort of thing.
  • mobile web

My vote is for a mobile version of the site content, that way MODs can easily be added.
  • mobile app +1
  • As an end-user, I wouldn't pay $1 for an app that I would use to create a helpdesk ticket.

As a manager, I'd pay money to be able to keep track of and respond to my support issues away from my computer.
  • I am currently lookin for such an App, right now.
  • allanburton1234;40888 said:

I hope I don't offend anyone with what I've written here and I'm not wanting to subvert the opensource model, I'm just looking to find a smart way to contribute to the development cost. Please let me know if I've crossed the line with this post and I will edit/change/delete anything that needs it.
    You have no choice, you must release your app in the same license than OsTicket. Because OsTicket is lincensed under GPL2, and that means that any derivative work must use same licence (read the terms).

So you can charge for your app if you like, but you have no choice, you must release it under GPL2.

And, by the way, I think most demanded mobile app for OsTicket is for the backend and not for the frontend ;)
  • Would definitely be interested in a mobile app for backend users. We have several staff that work from an iPad. While the backend works just fine, it would still be nice to have such a feature for ease of use and to be able to scale down to iPhone/Driod/etc.

Have to agree with above though. Wouldn't much see a point to a front-end app. If completely necessary, a mobile webpage would suffice fine. I made one in all of an hour just for proof of concept (since deleted). It might have not been as pretty, but it accomplished the same with much less effort.
  • Hmm. Cool thought, it'd be nice to see notifications and alerts as device notifications instead of emails for staff. Maybe drag and drop ticket assignment or department transfer.
    There is already a robust json interface, so adding a jquery mobile version would be quick right?