Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Real last stable versión

Hello:

I'm a little confused about which is the latest stable versión of osTicket.

Could you please help me whit this little question. Thks!

Comments

• 1.9.12 is the current stable (although honestly I do not and will not run it).
    You can always find out the current version by going to http://osticket.com/download
    or looking at the announcement category on the forums:
    http://www.osticket.com/forum/categories/announcements
  • @ntozier, can you clarify what you mean by your statement "honestly I do not and will not run it"?  My company is currently using v1.9.4.  We have been using osTicket for a couple years now.  I want to upgrade but have been patiently waiting for a new stable release of 1.9.13 or 1.10.  If I get tired of waiting, I was probably going to jump to 1.9.12 because if it's status as current stable release.  I would like to know what the concerns are with 1.9.12 and what your suggested version is. 
  • This is highly opinionated, and is my opinion. 

Let me start by saying I've been running a personally customized version of 1.9.7 [on two separate sites] since shortly after it came out. These are sites that have been upgraded and were initially installed as 1.6ST. I have two 1.10rc test sites that I use on a fairly regular basis these are clones of my production sites that I upgraded.  (to test things, to be able to answer questions, for developing the mods that I have authored, to test upgrading, etc.)

I look at the forums here on average 5 days a week.  I read every post.
    I look at the issue reports at github. I read [or skim] every issue reported.

We usually run a few versions behind here on production just because I feel like its more stable to do so.
    My perception is that 1.9.12 and 1.10rc2 have a lot of problems. If I remember correctly 1.9.8 is when they (the devs) also started moving talking to the database to ORM.  While I think that in the long run this is a good and positive move, I personally am not the best coder and have a hard time wrapping my head around how to code using their ORM structure.  I imagine that if I did it with any real regularity I would know it by now ...  I also like having the old SQL queries to be able to tweak, toy with, etc. So I feel like being against the transition would just be me being a curmudgeon.  The benefits of eventual additional DB support, performance, etc seem in my opinion to really outweigh me wanting to be able to hack the thing. :)

Feature wise I'm really looking forward to 1.10.0 and cannot wait until it is released.  I had a lot of problems getting it working in my environment (IIS8.5) initially but that's what my test sites were for.  I've manually installed a bunch of the post 1.10 fixes on github and am mostly happy with it's reliability.  We plan on upgrading to 1.10 once it is released (okay so we'll probably wait a month), but my point is if it wasn't for the changes that I made I do not see why anyone would think it was usable.  Maybe people under Apache/Apache2/nginx have a different experience and point of view but it was not usable for us.

As far as 1.9.12 goes I feel like every day someone new is posting about having an email problem with it. And that really means that I'm not sure that I would trust it to work like my current version.
  • When I first read this, I was taken back as I felt ntozier's comments were damaging only due to his relationship with OSTickets.  However I applaud his brutal honesty and follow up post explaining his position.  Many others feel OSTickets has stalled as it has been many months since any updates or patches have been released.  There are issues upon issues, that just do not seem to be getting addressed.  Running OSTickets is a double edged sword.  In one hand it is a free system, and in that realm it is currently the best ticketing system available.  However with free there comes a price and in that comes a massive deficit in documentation, and lack of coding ethics that make things a bit more complex when trying to customize certain things.  YMMV

Just my opinion as an outsider looking in...

• More opinion stuffs... :)

I do not feel like things have stalled, but it certainly has slowed down [a lot]. Maybe I'm nitpicking but I ride a motorcycle and stalled to me means I'm not going anywhere until I start it again.  There is progress being made. Things really took off there for a while and were moving at a breakneck pace.. Quite honestly I was having a hard time keeping up with all the different versions that were being thrown out, the bugs in each, troubleshooting each, testing each.  Jared's contributions have dropped off since the last release.

source: github main osticket page, click on graphs

I've looked at other 'free' products and I'm keeping my eggs in the osTicket basket.  I realize that people are frustrated at the slow progress that we are seeing now.  I empathize and have to admit that it is frustrating to me also.  2015 was a big year for osTicket and we saw 18 releases in the 1.8, 1.9, and 1.10 branches (combined).  Not quite as big as 2014 which had 24 releases in those same trees (but there were also 5 RCs for 1.9.4).

I feel that issues are being address (in my opinion based on github activity) but clearly not with the speed that we (the community) had grown accustomed to and gotten used to in the past two years. The unfortunate reality is that the devs could probably use another dev or three. Having one for years was way too slow (no offense intended Peter, but it started off as clearly a hobby).  Having two for a few years and a (IMO) breakneck release cycle apparently resulted in a fantastic push forward of features and the burn out and slowed pace that we are seeing now.  I know that they are looking for people to help.  Anyone who is good with PHP and wants to help should feel free to talk to @peter.  [side note: I have never considered myself a coder or a dev, it's a hobby for me.]

Also... anyone can submit pull requests on github. (I admit I am not comfortable or confident using github and but I've done a few tutorials now including githubs.)  I mention that because I see a lot of conversations on the forums (and even some on github) where people post a fix.  My perception is that 90% [this is a pulled from the air statistic, not an actual statistic] of those fixes never get PR's made. I'd like to see this change.  Heck I would happily try to make this number far far far less, but that would seriously take away from the time that I am on the forums.  I believe that my best contribution to the community is my efforts on the forums.

That's all for now... I really need to get back to my actual job. :)
  • This is a very interesting discussion. It's clear that a lot of people are using osTicket, and from what I can tell from the comments, they believe it's an excellent product. Our organization has been running a highly customized version of 1.6ST as our production helpdesk system for a few years now. I believe it's an excellent product. Currently, I am configuring a few smaller osTicket instances running version 1.9.12. I really like all the great features that were added since 1.6. I think the level of gui customization is amazing. That being said, there are a few issues on 1.9.12 that need to be addressed. I am working around a few things and hoping others get fixed over time. Currently, my plan is to roll out 1.9.12 on these smaller helpdesks as production instances sometime over the next 30 to 60 days. I also plan on moving our large production helpdesk from 1.6 up to 1.9.x or 1.10.x sometime over the next few months.

I will try to be active on these forums and I will also see if I can contribute back to the code via git PR's.
  • Thanks for the replies/opinions @ntozier and others
  • I love osTicket and am trying to get companies to use it. I really hope it doesn't flop. 
  • If I may add to this conversation. I think OsTicket might have suffered from having to few approvers of code submissions as well as trying to support to many parallel versions of the product. As 1.6ST to 1.7 and 1.8 (I combine the two together) were big leaps and we saw major changes in how OSTicket did things (IMO ultimately for the better. Then we saw 1.9 get released but 1.7 support for whatever reason wasn't killed off.For me I'd like to see a narrowed focus on OSTicket and see current versions get all of the attention and older versions be phased out. this is simply a numbers and timing game. You cannot have so few people developing code (Or approving it) and keep up with three parallel versions of the same or similar product. 

There are some really exciting features which OSTicket has started to release in 1.10 and I hope that it can continue its momentum.
  • I hate ORMs and many do not like them and they are not curmudgeons.  I do not understand why people find SQL so hard, nor do I know why they'd want to avoid it.  Don't you have to know how to query the database at the database level to know your data?  I understand and ORM can be used for database agnostic and everyone has an ORM, and I know about object mismatches, etc. and so on.

I simply think ORMs are not near as useful as they appear to be, and sometimes they complicate things necessarily.  I know people love them.  I have not found they make my life easier, especially when moving from one system to another and a new ORM.  SQL is universal.  SQL dialects are not that hard and have more features.  Maybe not everyone like to fool with the database.

It may be great for osTicket.  That's not my point, nor is it anything against it.  Thankful for osTicket.