Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

New user - couple questions

Just installed version 1.9.14 and have the basics setup, including email fetching working.  I'm trying to configure this the best I can so when my other technicians demo this it's not a huge shock compared to what they're used.  So I have some initial questions I'm hoping I could get some help with in no particular order:

1) Is there a way for an agent to view tickets by department, rather than the default which seems to be every ticket they have access to see regardless of department?  The reason is in our current system the techs login and see all tickets but then can quickly click on their specific queue/department to see tickets specifically that is there primary responsibility.  So for example a tech named John would have a department named John, and an admin would move tickets to that department they wanted John to handle.  What's the easiest way for John to switch views to see just the tickets in the John department is he wants to?

2) When transferring a ticket from one department to another, is there a way to remove the requirement that a comment has to be added?

3) How do you actually assign someone to a ticket and why would you do that?  All my ticket show as unassigned and I don't see how to assign someone to it.  Is there a way to auto assign a tech to a ticket based on what department it gets moved to?

Thanks so much for any help provided!

Comments

• Q: Is there a way for an agent to view tickets by department, rather than
    the default which seems to be every ticket they have access to see
    regardless of department?
    A: Advanced Search.  Change the Departments drop down to the department they want to see tickets for.

Q: When transferring a ticket from one department to another, is there a
    way to remove the requirement that a comment has to be added?
    A: Not via the UI.  But there are other threads that ask this and I remember someone posting a mod which does this.

Q: How do you actually assign someone to a ticket and why would you do that?
    A: Under the Assign Ticket tab at the bottom of the ticket edit screen.  Select the person from the drop down.
    So that person is responsible for the ticket.

Q: Is there a way to auto assign a tech to a ticket based on what department it gets moved to?
    A: No.  But you can via Help Topic. Go to Admin panel -> Manage -> Help Topics.  click on the Help Topic.  populate the Auto-assign To: (and probably the Department) field(s).
  • Thank you so much for the reply ntozier!  I must be missing something because I don't seem to have an 'Assign Ticket' tab anywhere?  I attached a screen shot of the edit ticket screen.  I've looked everywhere and assume I'm just missing it.  Is there a setting I first need to enable or something different in this version I have which is the latest build?

Edit_Ticket.png
    1680 x 1010 - 56K
  • Your screen is not the ticket view.  It is the edit ticket screen.
  • Oh sorry your original answer said ticket edit screen so i thought thats what you were referring to.  Is this the ticket screen? See attached
    Ticket_View.png
    1680 x 1010 - 72K
  • OK so what am I missing here?  I don't see anything about assigning the ticket to someone other than where it says 'Assigned To' which is Unassigned and you can't do anything there.
  • Then your account's group does not have the "Can Assign Tickets" permission set.
    Admin panel -> Agents -> Groups -> your accounts group.
  • Ahhh ok got it.  I see it now.  Thank you so much!
  • Very welcome. :)
    I'll close this thread, but if you find that you have another question (or grouping of quesitons) feel free to post again!
This discussion has been closed.