Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Agents can select each department if they create a new ticket

I am using osTicket-v1.9.14.

I am wondering: Agents can select each department if they create a new ticket.

Agent1 belongs to 'support' department only. Agent1 is assigned to group 'support_staff'.
All groups have access to 'support' department. Group 'support_staff' has Department Access only to 'support'.

While creating a new ticket Agent1 can see/select all departments created in osticket from the 'Department:' dropdown list. For example, Agent1 can select 'accounting' department and can create a 'accounting ticket'. Not sure if this is by concept or if it is a bug. Anyway, it is a bad approach for us. What can I do, that agents can only select departments they are associated with?

Comments

• Q: What can I do, that agents can only select departments they are associated with?
    A: You can't change this in the UI.  This is not a feature of osTicket..  It is assumed that Agents know what department a ticket should be sent to.

You could probably edit the core source files to change this behavior but it would not be trivial.  It is also something that I have never tried to do and would not even know where to begin to make such a change.
  • This thread is from last year, but still an ongoing issue in our environment.

> It is assumed that Agents know what department a ticket should be sent to.

Sure, you are right. But from time to time agents accidentally select the wrong department with the result: They have no access to this ticket anymore.

The next issue is: Each department has its own email address. So from osticket design, all agents can send out email from any deparment. This violates our company policy.

If anyone has an idea/hint how to get this changed, please let me know. Thanks!

• The agent would contact the department that they sent it to "by accident" and/or their supervisor, and/or the target Department Managers, and/or the osTicket Admin and have them re-assign the ticket.

Departments do not need to use a custom email.  You configured it that way.  Set it to use the system default.