Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

why is it so hard to get osTicket up and running

I downloaded v1.10.  I created a folder on my hosting account www.mydomain.com/osticket and via FTP uploaded the files under "upload" to my hosting server.  I have then tried for hours to get osticket to the setup screen but all i get are errors.  i have checked the file paths, spelling, everything.  i have checked for the correct versions of php and mysyql.  I have searched for hours reading every install posting I can find.  I have watch more then 10 youtube videos, most of which do not deal with this type of installation.  i have followed the steps, even the ones that are wrong, on the osticket wiki write up.  nothing works.  i have change the ost-sampleconfi to ost-config.  it seems that this should be a no brainer but i am obviously not the only one having trouble.  what am i missing?

Comments

• Please help us to help you by reading and following the posting guidelines located in this thread: Please read before requesting assistance.  The more information you give us the better we will be able to assist you. Thank you.

Q: what am i missing?
    A: Maybe if you could provide more details about your environment and the errors you are getting, we could better help you troubleshoot those problems. osTicket has a very active community of members, and likely you are not the first person to run into an issue. There are many people here to help you but they will have a hard time helping you troubleshoot a problem that is described as "all i get are errors"

• edited March 29
    Ummmm it isn't difficult.
    • You make sure your host runs IIS or Apache, PHP 5.6, and MySQL 5.x+
    • You upload the files to your host. (you might have to create a folder for this if you want to segregate it from the mail sites).
    • You create a DB user (with password) and grant them permissions.
    • You browse to the site hosting the source you uploaded previously.
    • You enter the information needed to configure osTicket. (it will tell you to rename the config file)
    And you are done.  It's installed.
    It takes around 10-15 minutes.

No one here can tell you what you are missing because you haven't provided us with any errors, or environment details.

ps this does not appear to be a suggestion or feedback post so I am moving it to Installation and Setup Help.
  • edited March 29
    The problem is with your hosting / server not OS Ticket.  I've installed a couple of instances just follow the steps.  Or you need to pay someone that is tech savvy to do it. 
  • ok i'm a bit frustrated.  lets start from the beginning.

the system requirements say PHP 5.3+ but you say 5.6, which is it?  MySQL is 5.6

I created a folder "osticket" as I indicated above under public_html and install, via FTP, the osticket files there.

I have a DB user.

• Several users have reported issues with PHP versions older than 5.6 and have reported those problems resolved by upgrading to 5.6

You still have not provided any specific information regarding your errors. What do your server logs report for errors? What do your PHP error logs say? etc. If "all i get are errors" then perhaps if you shared those...

You have not provided any information at all about your environment other than your MySQL version.

• The minimum requirement for osTicket at this point is 5.5.  We recommend 5.6.
  • ok I upgraded to 5.6 which required the server memory to be increased. once I got this accomplished I was able to get to the setup page of osTicket.  i created a database but i am now experiencing this error

Unable to connect to MySQL server: No such file or directory

• edited April 1
    something is wrong below but I cant figure out what it is. I get the error

Unable to connect to MySQL server: No such file or directory

MySQL Table Prefix: ost_
    localhost
    paradisesupport
    paradise
  • any help would be appreciated.
  • @chatham try putting this code in a php file in your installation directory and it should show most information about your enviroment making it easier to help you.

<html>
    <body>
    <?php
    echo "Server software: " . $_SERVER["SERVER_SOFTWARE"];
    echo "<hr>";
    echo "PHP version: " . phpversion();
    echo "<hr>";
    if(file_exists('include/ost-config.php')){
        if(is_writable('include/ost-config.php')){
            echo "Config file exists and is writable.";
        } else {
            echo "Config file exists but is readonly.";
        }
    } else {
        echo "Config file is missing";
    }
    echo "<hr>";
    echo "PHP extensions";
    foreach(get_loaded_extensions() as $extension){
        echo "<br />";
        echo $extension;
    }
    if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] === 'POST') {
        echo "<hr>";
        $connection = mysqli_connect($_POST['host'],$_POST['user'],$_POST['pass'],$_POST['name']);
        if(!$connection){
            echo "Failed to connect to database!";
            echo "<br />";
            echo "Debugging errno: " . mysqli_connect_errno() . PHP_EOL;
            echo "<br />";
            echo "Debugging error: " . mysqli_connect_error() . PHP_EOL;
        } else {
            echo "Connection is ok!";
        }
        mysqli_close($connection);
    }
    ?>
    <hr>
    <form action="<?php echo basename(__FILE__); ?>" method="post">
        Hostname: <input type="text" name="host"><br>
        Database: <input type="text" name="name"><br>
        Username: <input type="text" name="user"><br>
        Password: <input type="text" name="pass"><br>
        <input type="submit">
    </form>

</body>
    </html>
  • It really is frustrating this version 1.10, I currently have an earlier version and never had problems installing, now I did everything as always and I still give 500 error. I asked my hosting to open all permissions and nothing at all. It is a disaster I can not install, to see if it was my hosting, I enabled xampp on my pc and also can not install and it is not the version of php nor mysql. Please check it out because it is a disaster.
  • @ialiendre, if you are having issues please open a new thread. I just tested an OSTicket install on XAMPP and it worked.