Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Setting up sending mail via SMTP

Hello,

I've given the forums a search, so my apologies if this is something that has come up before...

I'm struggling to set up an outgoing mail server.  I'm using 1&1 and need to send via auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk on port 587 using TLS.  The server also requires authentication.  I've tried prefixing the hostname with tls:// and ssl:// as I saw, certainly the latter, mentioned somewhere, but no luck.  Each time I'm presented with the error:

Failed to connect to
ssl://auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk:587 [SMTP: Failed to connect socket:
Connection timed out (code: -1, response: )]

Failed to connect to
tls://auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk:587 [SMTP: Failed to connect socket:
Connection timed out (code: -1, response: )]

Hope somebody wouldn't mind giving me a hand to get going... thanks!

Comments

• You should probably talk to your host. I know that other people have reported trouble with 1and1 in the past.
  • To get gmail to work I needed to allow Header Spoofing
  • edited May 23
    I am going to bet you have GoDaddy. But it sounds like a firewall blocking the port.

Edit: didn't know 1&1 was a host haha. Yes, I agree with ntozier.  
  • Thanks... will do.  Could somebody confirm if I need to prefix to TLS?
  • I have not heard if that's the case, only SSL. But it failed to connect to socket means it cannot reach where it's trying to go. Port blocked, your host utilizes the port for something else, or firewall.