Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Creating new ticket(s) from customer reply

1. Simple case:
A lazy customer prefers to hit "Reply" button in their mail client software instead of creating new mail thread for new support request (no need to enter "To:" address again and no need to fill mail subject line). This results in an old ticket receiving new reply, which is actually new support request. There is drop down menu for each reply with actions "View email headers" and "Edit". I have seen in some other support boards another possibility - to extract new ticket from a particular customer reply. Is this feature feasible for osTicket?

2. More complex case:
A super lazy customer (== normal customer) fills single mail message with several unrelated questions and requests. Is it possible to extract new ticket from a PART of customer reply leaving that reply in its place (because there are other parts from which agent needs to extract other requests)?

Comments

• Thank you for the feedback, I will pass it along.
    You can set the Closed ticket status to be non-reopenable (Admin Panel > Manage > Lists > Ticket Statuses > Closed > click name > Item Properties > disable Allow reopen). That way when the case is closed and the user replies in the same ticket it will open a new ticket and not attach to the old ticket.

Certainly! You can edit the User's reply (drop down arrow on the reply), take out what doesn't pertain to the ticket, save the reply and open a new ticket (or multiple tickets) on the User's behalf with the data you extracted.
  • @KevinTheJedi:

Thank you for your suggestions!

#1.a What will be title of new ticket? "Re:<title_of_previous_ticket>"?
    #1.b What if old ticket is still in progress and cannot be closed yet? Customer just came up with yet another issue and hits "Reply" button

#2 Looks like I missed this feature - "open a new ticket (or multiple tickets) on the User's behalf". Can agent create a new ticket making another user "author" ("original poster) of it?
  • #1.a What will be title of new ticket? "Re:<title_of_previous_ticket>"?
    - It will become "Re: Ticket Subject [#ticketnumber]". For example I opened a ticket with the subject as "Test Fetch". I closed the ticket as an Agent and replied as the User. This opened a new ticket called "Re: Test Fetch [#983399]". You can then edit the ticket and change the subject to whatever you want!

#1.b What if old ticket is still in progress and cannot be closed yet? Customer just came up with yet another issue and hits "Reply" button
    - Follow step #2

#2 Looks like I missed this feature - "open a new ticket (or multiple tickets) on the User's behalf". Can agent create a new ticket making another user "author" ("original poster) of it?
    - Indeed! When the User Lookup popup shows you just search a different User's email or name.
  • Thank you KevinTheJedi !
    I'll try this