Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Any way to prevent agents from Dept A to see canned responses and agents from of Dept B & viceversa?

We are trying to implement an OSTicket environment where multiple companies can join our platform and do their own support on the same server as us.

I successfully managed to redirect tickets sent to the email of Dept A and make it only visible for agents part of Dept A.

What I would like to implement (or preferably a find a setting for) is to make it impossible for agents in Dept A to see the names of agents in Dept B and the same thing for canned responses.

Is there any easy way to do this? Should I approach this scenario differently?

Comments

• I'd probably setup a container for each companies installation, Keep them all logically seperate. Let them admin it themselves, they've likely all got image/branding, staff, staff groupings and url requirements that make the canned responses bit seem trivial. If you're providing the server, you can also provide support for them, and help them install plugins and setup the system etc, but you don't want to go down the road of literally managing every little thing, delegation!

But that's just me, I'm lazy.
    What sort of server are you running it on? How many companies with what volume of staff/users and tickets?
    These variables should inform your decision.
    But it's a lot easier to break up a containerised system and shard a database that is logically distinct first, than it ever would be after they've all been using it for a year..
  • I understand that the ideal way to deal with this is to containerize everything and provide a completely separate installation of OSticket to the different companies but I have no idea how to setup such an environment.

If I go that route, I would need to be able to spin up a complete and working system of OSticket in an instant, and judging by how long it took me to get that install running, I don't necessarily want to do it again.

I have my server hosted by Linode, so if there is an easy way to setup some kind of image that I can easily create a new server from that would be ideal, but right now, it would be best if there was a way to make multiple OSticket installations in the same Linode.

• Well, you could manage it with vhosts.. setup one system as a base, duplicate the database and install folder per company, then change the company name/url on each. With some crafty scripts you could spin up a new install in a few seconds.