Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Problems with Fetching Email via IMAP and Sending Email via SMTP

Hello,

Right after I transferred my host to a VPS, I've been having problems with Fetching Email via IMAP and Sending Email via SMTP. Everytime I enter the correct hostname, port number, and ckecked "Enable, I get the following error:

Invalid login. Check IMAP settings
[CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)

I am trying to use the secured SSL protocol. I contacted the vps host and they even tried fixing it themselves. They also contacted cPanel, and this is what they had to say:

We have got an update from cPanel support team. According to them in regards to secure SSL connections the application would need to use TLS instead of SSL. This will need to be reported to the application developer. Can you please check wiht the developer and let us know his updates regarding the same.

Is there any way to fix this problem?

Comments

• Some questions that might point you in the right direction, or provide us some information to help:

What version of osticket are you running? (is it working otherwise?)
    What are your IMAP settings? (Are you using the ssl:// prefix to enable encryption on the server settings for the account?)
    PHP and php_imap extension version?
    Apache server version?
    Does your VPS have an outbound firewall?
    Can you telnet to the mail server either on SMTP or IMAP ports from the VPS?

What other troubleshooting steps did you take, apart from contacting your servers support?
    Who is your VPS provider?
    Who is your mail host? Did the account work before? Can you manually login now? (Make sure IMAP is enabled and the account not locked etc).

• edited August 20
    I contacted my VPS host and gathered as much information as possible. Here is what they had to say:

What version of osticket are you running? (is it working otherwise?)
    I am using v1.10 (901e5ea) 

What are your IMAP settings? (Are you using the ssl:// prefix to enable encryption on the server settings for the account?)
    You can use any of the below settings for IMAP, all IMAP ports are open in the server. And further if you are using with SSL encryption ports ssl:// prefix is not required.

(provided me with the settings and none of them worked)

PHP and php_imap extension version? 
    ea-php-cli Copyright 2017 cPanel, Inc.
    PHP 5.6.31 (cli) (built: Aug 17 2017 01:08:27)
    ea-php55-php-imap.x86_64 5.5.38-23.23.3.cpanel @EA4 
    ea-php56-php-imap.x86_64 5.6.31-2.2.3.cpanel @EA4 
    ea-php70-php-imap.x86_64 7.0.22-1.1.2.cpanel @EA4 
    ea-php54-php-imap.x86_64 5.4.45-39.39.3.cpanel EA4 
    ea-php71-php-imap.x86_64 7.1.8-1.1.3.cpanel EA4 

Apache server version?
    Apache/2.4.27

Does your VPS have an outbound firewall? 
    Yes, we have IPTABLES in the server.

Can you telnet to the mail server either on SMTP or IMAP ports from the VPS?
    Yes, all SMTP/IMAP ports are open in the server.

What other troubleshooting steps did you take, apart from contacting your servers support? 
    Tried to change ports, re-enter password, use only username without @domain.com, used different kinds of servers aside what is recommended on cPanel for SSL.

Who is your VPS provider?
    ServInt

Who is your mail host? Did the account work before? Can you manually login now? (Make sure IMAP is enabled and the account not locked etc).
    Same server. Before (smx3.web-hosting.com.) and it used to work perfectly before migrating my host to the new VPS. The previous host was a shared server.
  • The mail is on the same server? Then it should reach it fine! Maybe you can just use a loopback address to connect to it? like "localhost" or "127.0.0.1"

Is that six different php imap modules? Freaky. It's been a while since I had to use a cpanel server, now I'm glad of that.

You say "the ports are open" but can you actually telnet to the mail server from the web host? Even if it's the same server, it's configuration might be such that you can't, so it's a trivial troubleshooting step that potentially exposes an error.

Are you getting anything in your logs? Mail/Apache/application/firewall/secure etc. Depends on the cpanel config I suppose.
  • I am sorry I misunderstood. The mail host is (smx3.web-hosting.com.)