Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Issues with email and ticket lock

Greetings, I'm new to OS Ticket, but have used other similar systems in the past. I've been tasked with trying to figure out what the cause of the issues are that we are experiencing, so we can get them resolved.

Ok, so this is the behavior that I have observed thus far and my coworker has verified she is seeing the same behavior.

Create a ticket in OS Ticket - no issues. The patron is notified there is a new ticket with a copy of that ticket - minus internal notes, of course.

I can respond to the ticket as the patron from gmail without issues and it updates the ticket, and sends the agent an email. The patron gets an email notifying them that their email was received. - So that portion appears to be working correctly.

I can respond to the ticket as the agent in gmail but it fails to go through and does not update the ticket - nor does the system notify the patron of any updates. No error messages are bouncing back to the agent email address.

In the OS Ticket web portal, I can add internal notes without issue. I cannot respond to the patron though. I get the Lock expiring immediately popup - which has a renew button. If I click the button it spins for eternity and doesn't stop. 

So to me it looks like two separate issues. I see some posts about email issues, but none of the posts I've seen yet match what I'm seeing and I couldn't find anything about the lock issue.

Server Information
osTicket Version v1.10 (901e5ea)  Upgrade — v1.10.1 is available
Web Server Software Apache
MySQL Version 5.6.36
PHP Version 5.5.38

PHP Extensions
gdlib Used for image manipulation and PDF printing
imap Used for email fetching
xml    XML API
xml-dom Used for HTML email processing
json Improves performance creating and processing JSON
mbstring Highly recommended for non western european language content
phar Highly recommended for plugins and language packs
intl Highly recommended for non western european language content
fileinfo Used to detect file types for uploads
APCu Improves overall performance
Zend Opcache Improves overall performance

Comments

• edited September 21
    My PC config - Win 7 Pro, All browsers and 3rd party apps up to date via Ninite. OS updates up to date as well. My coworker is having the same issues, so it's not related to AV or Firewall as we are in completely separate locations running different hardware. The only recent system log that has been generated was due to an error when I logged incorrectly the first time. Nothing else has been logged for months and I'm not seeing anything useful under any of the settings. I do have admin privileges.
  • "I can respond to the ticket as the agent in gmail but it fails to go through and does not update the ticket - nor does the system notify the patron of any updates. No error messages are bouncing back to the agent email address."

Thats because emails responses from Agents do not in fact update the Ticket.

"In the OS Ticket web portal, I can add internal notes without issue. I cannot respond to the patron though. I get the Lock expiring immediately popup - which has a renew button. If I click the button it spins for eternity and doesn't stop. "

This sounds like your MySQL timezone does not match your PHP timezone.  Can you check those please?
  • edited September 21
    This is the start of my second week here so I'm trying to track down the rest of that information. I was given the impression that OS Ticket allowed for agents to update tickets via email. That clearly is not the case. Thank you for that clarification.

I have noticed that in the system settings in OS Ticket that the time zone was wrong. I have passed on the request to see if I can either get access to the rest of the settings myself to check the timezone or if those settings can be checked for me.

Thank you for the exceedingly prompt and highly relevant response.
  • Correct.  Agents have to use the UI currently to update tickets to the User.  Their responses should be logged as an internal note in the ticket however (which does not get sent to the User).  There are a number of posts here and at github by people who would like this to change.  There are also some mods that you can put into effect to cause this to be the default behavior.  If you search you ought to be able to find them. I have one bookmarked but am not sure how old it might be:
    https://github.com/osTicket/osTicket-1.8/issues/2242

I find that most of the time (oh look a pun!) when the timezones are wrong some where it can cause the lock to expire because the time doesn't match, so the system thinks that the lock has expired (as soon as it is made)!

You're very welcome.