osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now
"Mark as answered" missing
Small but very irritating issue, maybe someone has a quick fix?
It seems on 80% of tickets the options to "mark as answered" is not there, but on the remaining 20% it is. I cannot see any reasons for this.
Any help welcome,
|osTicket Version||v1.10 (901e5ea) — Up to date|
|Web Server Software||Apache|