Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Duplicate Tickets & Mixed Tickets causing big problems.. :-(

Hi,

We have recently gone live with 1.9.3 of osticket running on windows/iis and using a scheduled task to collect email from a mailbox to generate the tickets.

We are having lots of problems where osticket will either duplicate a ticket when an email reply arrives (instead of appending to existing open ticket or re-opening a closed one what happens sometimes instead is that a new ticket is created, the subject is identical and looking at the emails it certainly appears that the users are just replying to the thread/conversation and not doing anything unusual.

The second more serious problem which I guess is probably related is that sometimes osticket is tagging replies on to the wrong ticket (open or closed) It's happening several times a day with no discernible pattern..

IE customer A raises a ticket by email, we respond to them & they respond to the email to followup and thier message is appended to a totally unrelated ticket from a different user entirely with a different email address, subject/title.

I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this, I understand that osticket uses the message id field in the header and from what I can see they are unique to the conversation so I cannot understand the behaviour. Any hints on what steps to follow & where to look for the possible cause of this would be great, I fear if I can't resolve soon we will be forced to decommission osticket after less than two weeks use. :-(

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards

Peter

Comments

• Please help us to help you by reading and following the posting guidelines located in this thread: Please read before requesting assistance.

Some questions:
    When you say went live what do you mean?  i.e. You setup a test site did all your configurations etc and then migrated it to a real site?  If so did you use the same database?  Did you remember to remove the second scheduled collection via scheduled task?  What are you doing with the emails after collection?
  • SMTP Sending 
    IMAP Fetching
    PHP 5.3
    Windows 2008 Server / IIS

We setup the site and spent some time testing (no migration/duplication anywhere) but didn't see any problems with low volume, only when we started to increase the usage did we start to see the problems

Sometimes there is at least some logic, ie we had two replies from the same user to a ticket (both had different message-id's when looking at the email) and so then the system decided to add the second reply to a different ticket which as it turned out had the same title/subject (Phones) although ticket no was also in the subject line in the form [#xxx] 

We use imap to fetch and move the messages to a different folder which allows me to go back and look at the message headers. The problem does seem to be that the message-id field in the header doesnt remain the same even when the user has replied normally (no forwarding etc). My understanding is that rfc compliant email clients should maintain this field?

Should the subject be parsed/checked as an alternative method and is it possible  (advisable?) to make the subject check the primary method. 

Am I right in thinking that we cannot use the piping method in windows and must stick to pop/imap fetch? Could our mailserver be causing the corruption/modify of the message-id somehow???

sorry for all the questions. A bit baffling!

• Q: My understanding is that rfc compliant email clients should maintain this field?
    A: That's my understanding also. 
    Are you using a mailing list of some type?

Q: Should the subject be parsed/checked as an alternative method and is it possible  (advisable?) to make the subject check the primary method.
    A: My understanding is that it only checks if the message-id cannot be figured out.

Q: Am I right in thinking that we cannot use the piping method in windows and must stick to pop/imap fetch?
    A: You can use the piping method in windows. I only know that because someone posted a link to an article about how to do it not that long ago... but I can't find it.  Until then I didn't think that you could use piping with Exchange.  Honestly I do not use piping and never have and have used osTicket for years.

Q: Could our mailserver be causing the corruption/modify of the message-id somehow???
    A: it might be if your using a mailinglist....