Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

osTicket v1.10 (stable) and Maintenance Release v1.9.15 are now available! Go get it now

Update a ticket with the same subject

I notice an odd behavior someone created a ticket via ccing the helpdesk and several others now anyone replying to that ticket creates a new ticket for the same email thread ... Is there anyway around this bug/feature?

Comments

• Make sure the outgoing emails which create the ticket, do include the ticket number (e.g. #123456) in the subject. Usually osTicket tries to match an incoming email via email headers to a ticket - but if that fails it checks for the ticket number in the subject field, so just edit your email templates to include the ticket number ;)
  • hmm Ok I messed up. let me explain and clear it up a bit.
    A user created a email to a few users and CC the "Helpdesk" to create a ticket. One of the users replied the original email (not the one generated to by osticket) and Oticket created another ticket for that reply..
    Got it now?
  • Yes, got it now, but I can't currently imagine how you could prevent that osticket creates tickets in such cases. Will think a bit about it and maybe some idea will come to my mind. If so I'll share here with you ;)
  • edited October 2015
    @chefkeks Well here is one thing when a user reply's to the original email it prefixes it with "RE:" I would assume osticket would remove the "RE:" and check the subject to see if its the same. but I am only speculating since I dont know how ost does the routing of email.
    I would appreciate anything yuou can share :)
  • Unfortunately I also don't know much how osTicket does mail routing, only knowledge I have is based on comments from the developers from the forum and github where they describe it sometimes. Maybe @peter or @jared@osTicket.com can help here, since I hadn't had an idea, or you go ahead and open an "issue" over at github and see if there maybe can help.